New purchase ,old bike and rider

potto

8 hours ago, oldaz said:

Welcome to my world. Currently working through the power unit, surprisingly only a few "modifications" to correct. My exhaust system still to be tackled, good hints above for me.

Yes true ,your build has inspired me.....you are doing a nice job,I won't reach your level but at least things will be as they should.

Yes I was happy with how the rear muffler burnt out,I had no smoke from the centre muffler after heating @ max temp for 10mins,appears it has been cut open and gas welded back together @ some stage so thinks that why it didn't need burning out.

Will attack the swingarm today,looks like I with jig it up ,cut one end and square it up,shock mounts have been removed and welded on it another place also,again the welding there is horrible,oh well the bushes are in good condition so that's a bonus.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:23 AM, potto said:

Yes true ,your build has inspired me.....you are doing a nice job,I won't reach your level but at least things will be as they should.

Yes I was happy with how the rear muffler burnt out,I had no smoke from the centre muffler after heating @ max temp for 10mins,appears it has been cut open and gas welded back together @ some stage so thinks that why it didn't need burning out.

Will attack the swingarm today,looks like I with jig it up ,cut one end and square it up,shock mounts have been removed and welded on it another place also,again the welding there is horrible,oh well the bushes are in good condition so that's a bonus.

Swingarm mostly done ,found it was 4mm out of square after "jigging" it up,ground out several old arc welds as they were full of slag and little penetration,one shock mount was bent so vee'd out the weld tacked it back straight then ran out of gas :huh:.

Test fitted the arm on the bike and everything lines up properly as it should,need a new chain @ some stage but old one will do for now.

Fitted kill switch but not wired up as yet,had paint matched for frame and have colour code......and no its not going to be black :D.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, potto said:

Swingarm mostly done ,found it was 4mm out of square after "jigging" it up,ground out several old arc welds as they were full of slag and little penetration,one shock mount was bent so vee'd out the weld tacked it back straight then ran out of gas :huh:.

Test fitted the arm on the bike and everything lines up properly as it should,need a new chain @ some stage but old one will do for now.

Fitted kill switch but not wired up as yet,had paint matched for frame and have colour code......and no its not going to be black :D.

p****** with rain today little I could do little outside,did some domestics inside...geez that was boring and got that done,went on here and researched past topics  and learnt s@itloads about my bike,hours later :D know heaps more a good thing.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, oni nou said:

Move to the UK......you will know the inside leg measurement of every Hollywood star since the movies started being made.

Hhhhhmm not sure about that answer  ??....anyway moving on still working on my swingarm cause its still not right,measures  indicate on shock mount is 9mm further forward than the other....how could this be ,well it appears to have been rewelded by the same clown that cut the swingarm.

Have had issues with brake lever touching frame,something amiss...pulled the brake backing plate on found how an expert fixed it!!

P1010347.JPG

P1010348.JPG

Edited by potto
spelling

You pack a piece of steel around the brake arm cam and all is golden....really,will get shoes relined next week by local outfit that do motorbike stuff.

I plan to rebush the brake pedal as its really worn all should be fine then.

4 hours ago, oni nou said:

It rains 24/7 in the UK so you would have so much time on your hands that you would go way past finding out everything about your bike on this forum and end up finding out trivial things such as the inside leg measurements of very important people like Hollywood film stars.

Trials are being cacelled on a regular basis at present due to the lack of visibility caused by the dust being kicked up.

Ok got ya didn't know you were from the UK ,what you was funny now I know your joke we moan if my country if it rains for less than a week ;).

Cheers Dean.

On 15/02/2018 at 1:56 PM, oni nou said:

Have had issues with brake lever touching frame,something amiss...pulled the brake backing plate on found how an expert fixed it!!

Looks like PO lost the steel slips that go between the brake shoes and the actuator, so came up with their own version. At least yours had linings on them :-)

Mine had one lining on the rear with the other one lying in the drum, no linings on the front and a bead of silicone around the front backing plate.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, potto said:

Thanks you are correct just looked @ my manual and see them,the lining aren't too bad so I will make replacements,cheers.

Well I did find after further inspection the brake shoe cam was in poor condition....looks like someone had taken a grinder to it,hunted through my hoard of bike parts and found a near new set of 100mm brake shoes,they had the metal slips bonded on them and due to the thicker linings a test fit revealed a great working rear brake.....happy camper.

My alloy brake pedal was in a poor state and cracked so I fabbed one out of steel with a hardened steel pivot bush,a bit of work but works good.

My leg is fully healed so I fired up the bike which took a little more kicks than expected,appears it only starts on the choke where before it didn't need it.....not sure whats changed???.

Engine ran much crisper and after a ride it felt like it had more power,I can only assume burning out the rear muffler had the desired result.

Few bugs to sort but happy with the results .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

16 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Looks like you're getting more of that wild weather potto

Yes another one on the way,so much damage done from the others and the clean up is still going on appears it will be months before all that is finished.

This one is said to be going down the east coast of the north island,I live @ the top of the south island so hopefully we will be ok.

Not sure I'am liking what you guys are "exporting" to us lately ? :D:D:D.

Starting to put bike together again,it was pointed out to me sometime back the shocks I purchased were too long,this is true and not only caused the rear height to be wrong but caused the shock to be "firmish",machined up some 12mm bolts up and mounted them on the swingarm which resulted in the bike setting correctly and the shocks now feel right.

While removing the swingarm I noticed an oil leak which turned out to be @ a recessed plug in the engine case ...can anyone tell me what its function is and how it sealed,thanks

P1010350.JPG

I'm pretty sure that inside that hollow "bolt" is a spring loaded plunger that holds the shift drum in the right spot for each of the gears. There is a cam on the shift drum with multiple indentations, one for each gear. Normally there's a copper washer under the head of that "bolt" to seal it. If you want to pull it out to fix the leak, you can pull it out and put it back in without causing any problems with the shifting mechanism. The plunger and spring will be able to fall out of the "bolt" though. May need to take the swingarm out to give clearance to get it out or maybe not. I have only had that "bolt" out with the engine out of the bike.

It is rather hard to get to even with the swingarm out ,thinking its leaking for that reason....too hard to get to ?

The only solution I can see is to put a thin wall socket in there with a piece of flat or bar welded to it as there is no way a ratchet will fit in,the rear engine mounts in the way also <_<.

I'am not removing the engine until I do frame repairs and repaint so hope the above method works,thanks for the reply feetupfun.

Yesterday was a magic day ,rather hot,the bike screamed 'ride me" so I boxed up a couple of things I had apart and she started up first kick on the choke,went to some of my favorite area's I used to run my VW offroader (now sold) and found the bike a blast to ride,went all over the place forgetting I had only put 1 litre of fuel in it but that wasn't an issue as I didn't need to use reserve.

My thinking is the carb is fairly well "dialed in" ,changing to the carb slide to near the correct type appears to have cured my consumption issue,it settles to a nice low speed tick over and as mentioned previously the oil smoke is much reduced.

I also experimented with a different fuel mix of around 32:1 ,some had mentioned this was the way to go,no question the bike runs better and shows no obvious issues with this mix,I would assume 2S oil has come ahead somewhat since 1979 ;).

I have changed the handlebars to a "high rise" type and find the riding postion is greatly improved for the type of riding I do.

I also found I have automatic chain oiling on my Monty ???.....turns out my oil leak is in fact the counter shaft sprocket seal,oh well atleast I know where its coming from.

More to report later,cheers.

• Like 1