New purchase ,old bike and rider

potto

Well managed to check fuel usage after last ride which was more throttle and higher RPM then any other test runs,@ that stage I had used 650mls of premix which is a huge reduction from pre carb work.

Pulled chain ,retainer and countershaft sprocket ,oh dear the seal is totally gone and not what I thought would be easy to change,very small and looks hard to remove.....bugger.

Anyone know the size of this seal as it looks a real odd one?,cheers .

EDIT and update,fired an email to Inmotion and Pete replied swiftly saying they have the seal and the 'o' ring which I presume go's on the end of the shaft sleeve against the bearing ?...mine didn't have one and after looking @ the way it sets up explains how the oil can travel under the inside of the sleeve and leak @ the sprocket,bloody past owners eh <_<.

Edited by potto

• 3 weeks later...

Parts arrived from the UK to reseal output shaft seal,all fitted back together,you would think that was the end it however I have another leak,there is a blanking plug you can see above the kitchen towel.

I can only think to drain the oil and clean the area before applying some JB Weld,anyone have suggestions,thanks.

P1010376.JPG

That's a good point I suspect the vent hole is blocked as the oil drains very slowly without the filler cap undone,would that tell me the vent hole is blocked?,after changing the oil after buying the bike I drained it again because I thought maybe I had overfilled it ....that wasn't the case.

I haven't tried to see if the blanking plug is loose and frankly don't want to,reason I mentioned JB Weld is that is great in this application.

Obviously if this won't fix the problem I will go further,for the mean while I will check the cover vent hole isn't blocked ,thanks.

Checked the g/box vent and appeared to be blocked using a piece of wire,JB welded the blanking plug and filled with new oil no leaks ,happy camper ,had plans for a ride but heavy rain tomorrow our first pre winter storm hits,there will be another day,cheers.

• Like 1

No leaks since reseal ,currently looking @ fitting longer range tank (7L) and have suitable seat for it,hoping its all period currect but expect some grief for what I have done but it suits my needs and works for ME.

• 2 weeks later...

Well another question,I have a situation where I would like to up my gearing a little for trail riding would a 11T countershaft help in this respect,not in my budget to change the rear and besides its as new genuine but a 38T not the 40T the manual states.

Any idea's would be well received and excuse me for asking a dumb question,cheers