Why are Spanish riders so good? And other chit chat

justjosh9

In the uk we have had a very very long list of junior world champions, i think the last Spanish one was either gomez or tarres? Cant remember if casales won or not.

So something is happeneing when they move to the top route and its as much to do with money and support.

Also the change in rules did nothing to encourage youth just prolonged the careers of the spanish top 5. (excludes bou)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, faussy said:

I disagree. A few sections yes, but they sure know how to put in a few good steep muddy banks! The fact that a few are man made and its still more natural than most venues is the irony!

japan is very much a man made course, most sections tbh. Yes its muddy inbetween but so is spain czech poland Sweeden was too when i went there.

22 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

japan is very much a man made course, most sections tbh. Yes its muddy inbetween but so is spain czech poland Sweeden was too when i went there.

You need to watch more highlights of last years world round, around half are proper 100% natural muddy hill goodness

26 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

In the uk we have had a very very long list of junior world champions, i think the last Spanish one was either gomez or tarres? Cant remember if casales won or not.

So something is happeneing when they move to the top route and its as much to do with money and support.

Also the change in rules did nothing to encourage youth just prolonged the careers of the spanish top 5. (excludes bou)

I agree with most of this, but the reason we have a lot of british winners is because they are too interested in winning it instead of moving up. Gelabert/Price, Farre/Roberts are a perfect example. 

Bou was too busy frying bigger fish to even bother with the junior world cup let alone win it

Interested to see how long peace and martyn waste trying to win it

Edited by faussy

I think  the main reasons the Spanish are better are the cycle trials background,practice and event venues that are more like current world round venues,and the support from their governing body.Our lads need to practice/ride on the same going which means spending a lot of time abroad,which without support is impossible for them.

I also think the Spanish factories prefer Spanish riders,unless UK can produce riders as good as Doug Lampkin to get them interested                           

Casales came to Butser Limeworks with John Lampkin as we set out the BTC sections, although he did not get on a bike that day. At the event itself especially on the first lap he had a fair bit of trouble with our going. At first he seemed to find riding the chalk and beech tree root strewn cambers pretty hard where the local riders like say Sam Hallam were clearly much better. He visibly improved as the trial progressed.

The Spanish take motor sport seriously and they give it cultural bling and I guess they think its cool. On the other hand here in the UK the establishment seems to only tolerate it maybe because there are no horses, sailing boats or oars.

5 hours ago, faussy said:

And did you look at the first two rounds? He got beaten by guys who arent on the world circuit, some (with no disprespect) who arent even close to being on the world circuit while at venues with terrain you wouldnt get much of in Spain. He finished 6th one week, and 10th the next at a british round. 10th!!!!!

That was collyolly's point about other riders shining on different terrain

Tong IMO is a pathetic attempt at a british rnd

31 minutes ago, micm said:

Casales came to Butser Limeworks with John Lampkin as we set out the BTC sections, although he did not get on a bike that day. At the event itself especially on the first lap he had a fair bit of trouble with our going. At first he seemed to find riding the chalk and beech tree root strewn cambers pretty hard where the local riders like say Sam Hallam were clearly much better. He visibly improved as the trial progressed.

The Spanish take motor sport seriously and they give it cultural bling and I guess they think its cool. On the other hand here in the UK the establishment seems to only tolerate it maybe because there are no horses, sailing boats or oars.

Do you win every round you ride faussy? Any?

Clear that he improved no end during the season, but to say the British lads gave him a wooping isn’t fair.

Agreed with oni nou, if I could choose I would prefer stop allowed, it enables you to go bigger and harder in competition. But most riders in the UK don’t seem to want this.

4 hours ago, faussy said:

You need to watch more highlights of last years world round, around half are proper 100% natural muddy hill goodness

I agree with most of this, but the reason we have a lot of british winners is because they are too interested in winning it instead of moving up. Gelabert/Price, Farre/Roberts are a perfect example. 

Bou was too busy frying bigger fish to even bother with the junior world cup let alone win it

Interested to see how long peace and martyn waste trying to win it

Can’t disagree more, it’s insulting to even think that about the Brits, to make this level they have given plenty of ‘easy wins’ away by moving up class after class

Edited by boringac

4 hours ago, b40rt said:

I think it was suggested that acu should support up and coming riders by increasing the license fee in line with Spain !

no, I was not suggesting this, I was just partially answering the original question. why are the spanish so strong, theey help their good young riders with money raised from exorbitant license fees

44 minutes ago, boringac said:

Can’t disagree more, it’s insulting to even think that about the Brits, to make this level they have given plenty of ‘easy wins’ away by moving up class after class

Insulting? Gelabert/farre/price/roberts were all much of a muchness a couple of years back, with farre probably being the weakest and roberts the strongest. The two spaniards moved up (neither winning trial2) while the 2 brits stayed down, to win trial2. Now look at how they score! Its not insulting its telling it as it is.

Edited by faussy

32 minutes ago, faussy said:

Insulting? Gelabert/farre/price/roberts were all much of a muchness a couple of years back, with farre probably being the weakest and roberts the strongest. The two spaniards moved up (neither winning trial2) while the 2 brits stayed down, to win trial2. Now look at how they score! Its not insulting its telling it as it is.

What class and route do you ride?