Why are Spanish riders so good? And other chit chat

justjosh9

16 hours ago, baldilocks said:

2016 trial2 winner Jack Price

In 4th place was Farre , according to the FIM.

So Farre moved up to the top class in 2017, the same year as Jack Price ?

You're right, i think he just should have moved up the previous year, he was more than capable to. 

As you say, roberts and gelabert were basically identical 2015, but gelabert moved up and has progressed big time and is now by a long way the best up and coming young'n. Roberts stayed back to win trial2 and i believe has suffered. I dont even think the teams value winning trial2.

All im supposing is a reason as to why gelabert and farre have jumped the 2 brits. There may be other reasons as well, but i think at that level you have to be pushing yourself constantly, staying down to win a championship may be good in the short term, but if the class is beneath your ability i feel its a wasted year of progress

Theres many ways to skin a cat, but ultimately its a race to the top of trialgp, not trial2

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 7:59 PM, faussy said:

Insulting? Gelabert/farre/price/roberts were all much of a muchness a couple of years back, with farre probably being the weakest and roberts the strongest. The two spaniards moved up (neither winning trial2) while the 2 brits stayed down, to win trial2. Now look at how they score! Its not insulting its telling it as it is.

@faussy In 2017 Trial GP, Gelabert, Farre & Price finished 11th, 12th & 13th in that order, so are they really as far apart as you suggest?

A compounding question and rather damning fact, is why only one rider in the last decade, of any nationality, (Jamie Busto) has been able to break into the worlds top five.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, neils on wheels said:

@faussy In 2017 Trial GP, Gelabert, Farre & Price finished 11th, 12th & 13th in that order, so are they really as far apart as you suggest?

A compounding question and rather damning fact, is why only one rider in the last decade, of any nationality, (Jamie Busto) has been able to break into the worlds top five.

There are cases when moving up did no good at all. Wiggy won youth ( at a young age) and wanted to progress to junior, but because of the rules he had to ride a 125, he struggled at times.

Then when Pol Tarres did the same the rules were changed.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:59 PM, neils on wheels said:

They finished consecutively in the championship yes, but their level of riding really is quite far apart. You just have to see the results gelabert gets in the spanish championship, and sheffield again at the weekend. I can see him making a big leap well into the top10 this year

Another point is the countries national championships, gelabert, and busto are getting to compete against bou and raga every week, competing and practicing with the best helps a lot

Edited by faussy

7 minutes ago, justjosh9 said:

Gelabert was seriously impressive last night... Busto seemed to struggle. New bike maybe? 

Busto was very on at first FIM X-Trial, so I'm not sure if it's the bike?  Cool to see Gelabert riding so well!

On 06/01/2018 at 4:14 PM, nigel dabster said:

There are cases when moving up did no good at all. Wiggy won youth ( at a young age) and wanted to progress to junior, but because of the rules he had to ride a 125, he struggled at times.

Then when Pol Tarres did the same the rules were changed.

This is an interesting point, I've generally been of the view that restricting youths to a 125 so they learn to get the most from a bike, rather than be dragged around by a 250, is a good idea if you're going to be riding big sections in the future and need to squeeze the maximum out a 300cc engine. However, I do wonder if what is good for the majority does hold back the elite riders. I think I'm right in saying that the five riders who have dominated world trials for the last decade were all riding 250+ bikes in the world championship class at around the age that today's youths are still restricted to a 125.

On 07/01/2018 at 4:11 PM, faussy said:

They finished consecutively in the championship yes, but their level of riding really is quite far apart. You just have to see the results gelabert gets in the spanish championship, and sheffield again at the weekend. I can see him making a big leap well into the top10 this year

Another point is the countries national championships, gelabert, and busto are getting to compete against bou and raga every week, competing and practicing with the best helps a lot

Certainly a good result for Gelabert at Sheffield, well done to him. Let's hope he is another who can step up to challenge the established top five.

Regarding the week in week out competition and practicing with the best in the world: I completely agree, success breeds success and we see it in all sports and indeed other walks of life.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, neils on wheels said:

I think I'm right in saying that the five riders who have dominated world trials for the last decade were all riding 250+ bikes in the world championship class at around the age that today's youths are still restricted to a 125.

In britain at least anyway i think 2004 was the first year 125s were introduced, and youth A actually had two classes, a 125 and a 250. From 2005 onwards, 250s werent allowed for under 18s

Why are the Spanish so good?

Ans.

Jordi Tarres, Toni Bou, money, support, factory backing, terrain availability, national support, riding technique ,breading. The list goes on...

I guess when Tarres came along and changed the way trials was ridden, then followed up more recently with Bou trials hit an all time high in Spain.

Lets face it, certainly here in the UK off road motor sport is very unpopular with the masses and often frowned upon. In Spain, in a lot of places you can pull up at the side of a road get your bike out and have a ride on the local (usually dry rocky) terrain. I even saw a clip where some Spanish lads filmed themselves riding on a beach wave break rockery area close by to a town. The local constabulary, rather than shifting the riders on actually stood there along with some local residents, watching and applauding the spectacle. In the Uk you would most likely have your bike impounded, prosecuted, thrown in front of a judge then fined with points on your licence.    

• Like 1

Just seen a post on a classic French site regarding prices for Spanish  2018 licences, though I might share.  

To ride some Trials in Catalunya 210 euros they were listed,  the classic's 210 euros, to ride these and  few more in this and adjacent area 275 euros and if you want to ride there and the rest of Spain 305 euros. 

How much is an Acu licence, and how many trialing weekends in the Uk... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oni nou said:

it is illegal to ride off road in Spain with hefty fines if convicted. ....Toni Bou even moved to Andorra where he can ride legally so that he can practise freely.....Google this 'Ley de Montes Espana.'

However there are lots of unpaved roads which are legal to ride on, as with green lanes here some of them have trials-y bits beside them which can be used for practice :)

• Like 1