199A Setup

motovita

On 1/5/2018 at 11:38 AM, trialsrfun said:

The air filter from the 199b can be fitted in the 199a air box, because the b filter is cylindrical it offers a bigger surface area than the flat one fitted to the a. In my opinion leave the yokes alone unless like me you are quite tall and find the riding position cramped, if so there are a couple of aftermarket top yokes available with the bars mounted over the steering stem.

Apparently that's what I have as there's no flat filter in the bike or any of the boxes of old parts I got with the bike. It came with a cylindrical filter that's glued to the intake boot. Is that the 199B filter?

Another question has arisen. I have exhaust leaking at the head pipe. The 4 bolt flange and it's gasket look fine, but what seals the pipe to the flange? I'd like to know before I take it apart so I can put it back together promptly.

Thanks all.

5 hours ago, motovita said:

Apparently that's what I have as there's no flat filter in the bike or any of the boxes of old parts I got with the bike. It came with a cylindrical filter that's glued to the intake boot. Is that the 199B filter?

Yes it could well be, the 198b and 199b filters are shown on the inmotion website.

That's what I have, the B model filter, it's just sort of pushed through the airbox and the foam has seperated from the rubber boot. I have to grease it well to keep it from letting dirt through. I've found replica airboxes for the 199A But i haven't found a source for the older style airbox, used Bultaco Trials parts are hard to find in the U.S,, any suggestions?

16 hours ago, motovita said:

That's what I have, the B model filter, it's just sort of pushed through the airbox and the foam has seperated from the rubber boot. I have to grease it well to keep it from letting dirt through. I've found replica airboxes for the 199A But i haven't found a source for the older style airbox, used Bultaco Trials parts are hard to find in the U.S,, any suggestions?

You can buy the older airbox new from Spain for 159 to 191 models from here  -  www.motosdelabuelo.com

I haven't seen them available outside of Spain. Interestingly they list the 158/159 box seperately from the rest, I thought they were all the same  (apart from the sidepanels which are concave or convex fro 350 / 250)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok I'm past the previously mentioned issues. I'm not totally satisfied with the way the steering feels, but it does turn well. I think I'd rather build an airbox than use anything I've seen available to buy, so I'll work on that later.

My new question is how to get a little more over rev from the engine. I've geared the bike down to 11X42 due to the extremely tight Vintage sections that are common here, thanks to the proponents of Hodakas and TY175s that seem to be the most common Vintage bikes here. I find the gap between first and second gear a little bigger than I'd like, in some sections first is lower than I'd like but second is a bit fast. If I could rev first gear a little higher it would close up the gap a bit. 

I'm perfectly happy to run points and the bike starts and responds well, but I would consider an electronic ignition if it would let me rev first gear substantially higher, or would I be better off looking into the exhaust system, which has forty years of goo in it?

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

If you're in a position to change the head steady to a late 3 point aluminium, cheap and very good mod.

Agreed?? the head steady is an awful? piece of engineering. Do you mean the head steady set off the Pursang moto x? A proper bit of kit that. On my bike the one in the pic the head steady has been boxed to make it a bit stronger. 

I think ND means the triangular type fitted to some of the 340's, this attaches to the existing head steady bracket but requires a second to be added.

Does anyone have pictures of the second bracket which needs to be made and secured to the frame please ?