MH 200 Yokes

midlife

I have a MH 200 ( orange) and the yokes hold the forks apart at approx. 120mm which does not leave a lot of clearance for tyre.  I also have a 249 and they are 150mm. So do I get a different set of yokes then make new spacers for front wheel ( conical hub ) or leave as is. Some one out there has got to have an answer.

How did the they cope with lack of clearance in the 80s.

You could use countersunk bolts on the inside of the mudguard stay but that's as good as you can get.

Or make a different mudguard stay that fits on the outside of the lug on the fork leg ?

Wider yokes is the best solution but will they hit the fuel tank? 

On 05/01/2018 at 6:19 AM, midlife said:

I have a MH 200 ( orange) and the yokes hold the forks apart at approx. 120mm which does not leave a lot of clearance for tyre.  I also have a 249 and they are 150mm. So do I get a different set of yokes then make new spacers for front wheel ( conical hub ) or leave as is. Some one out there has got to have an answer.

Why do you feel the need for more clearance? It's not like you want to fit fat tyres?? I figure if the wheel gets bent enough to hit things, you won't be riding it like that anyway.

1 hour ago, oldaz said:

Why do you feel the need for more clearance? It's not like you want to fit fat tyres?? I figure if the wheel gets bent enough to hit things, you won't be riding it like that anyway.

When you ride in mud it gathers around the fork brace and can jamb the front wheel - that's why I swapped to an aftermarket one on my TY, as the factory ones are notorious for it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldaz said:

There is only about 10mm clearance each side .Michelin are a lot wider than the standard tyre of the time.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:19 AM, midlife said:

From what I remember, the narrow spacing was considered a success for making the front end narrower and a failure because it jammed up with debris too easily and they went back to wider spaced fork tubes again. I'm thinking the narrow spacing triple clamps came out in about 1981 and by 1983 they were back to wider spacing.