Engine install (modern OSSA)

lotus54

Dang, heck if I Remember the trick I used when I removed the engine. I remember thinking ‘I need to remember how I pulled this out’. 

Yeah, sure.     I recall it is sort of partly sideways, but I can’t remember if the front part or the back part clears the mounts first.   It is pretty tight.

Anyone that has done it remember?

Yo, you need to lift from front, but, will need to remove reed block to get the space. It’s a bloody tight fit in between the frame at front as well.. when dropping back in I had whole bike upside down so using the own engines weight to help. 

Its not very easy as you know!

ian

Been a year or two now since getting the motor out, was not a massive problem to get back in. As imex says, remove the reed block, tie the shock and swinging arm out of the way and remove the rear brake lever. Pretty sure I replaced the motor with the cylinder head off, yes it is tight to get at the cylinder head torx screws, but you can access them with a Beta Tools (from Italy, not the same as Beta bikes) torx key, they have a very short angled head to get at the screw plus have a ball end torx drive at the other end which comes in handy. I made a stand to drop the back end of the frame onto to make it easier to fit the motor in.

Bye, Peter B.

I got it back in.

Just for anyone else (or if I’m looking and can’t remember Next time)
I turned the bike upsidedown (rear suspension/swingarm and Forks were already off). I put the engine in from the left, got the rear mount lines up and put in a loose fitting drift just to keep it in place.

Next I moved the front up- carefully moving the fuel hose (don’t want to break that plastic fitting) wires etc. I levered up the frame a little (it is pretty flexible without the engine bolted in).  Slowly I moved it so the front mounts lined up.  

Now to get everything else back together and see how it is with a new piston/rings.

Mark