Kickstarter Pinion gear Broken

Steiner

I have a 2008 rev 4t with a broken kickstarter pinion gear.  I need a replacement or a cad 3d drawing to build a new on. 

Any help on this fix would be appreciated.   See pic of broken gear and gear with broken tooth. 

Thanks, Steiner

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

3 hours ago, dadof2 said:

I would not copy that design even if I had a CAD drawing. There is too much unsupported length under the teeth, no surprise it has broken.

I agree with you.  I will have the CAD drawing fill in the spots behind the gear and reinstall it.   I just found out BETA has discontinued the part and has an upgraded part with one other gear and shaft for twice the price.   

59 minutes ago, Steiner said:

I agree with you.  I will have the CAD drawing fill in the spots behind the gear and reinstall it.   I just found out BETA has discontinued the part and has an upgraded part with one other gear and shaft for twice the price.   

are you saying you can make this gear from a drawing at a lower cost than buying the part from Beta?

Beta discontinued the part.   I cannot order it anywhere.   They are in the process of making a replacement, but nothing is completed.  Meanwhile my bike is useless.   I choose to finish the work myself, and yes it will cost more but I can always sell some on eBay.   Once I have the plans and mold I can make an unlimited number.   

Made these bikes in a month.  08 Honda CRF 250 frame with a CR 500 aluminum frame and a KTM xc450 frame with a CR 500 motor.   

fullsizeoutput_225.jpeg

the ten year old part has been replaced five times, yes five times..  That is a poor design!   My Gasgas (99) does not have issues.   I have multiple bikes and non of the other ones have problems.  This part sucks.  Beta needs to step it up.  I will dump this machine once its fixed, never to buy this brand again.   To many other machines without problems.   

Every bike has a weak spot. Personal experience is a more measure of the reliability/durability of anything as complicated as a motorbike. If a particular item has a 10% failure rate, 90% of owners will have no problem and say the part is good. The other 10% will think the item is rubbish. Making wild generalisations on such a small sample size will not get you far.

On the other hand, I once owned a Hillman Imp for a short while (yeah, I know!). That car worked it's way through every problem the Imp was know for, and then started making up new ones itself.

6 hours ago, Steiner said:

the ten year old part has been replaced five times, yes five times..  That is a poor design!   My Gasgas (99) does not have issues.   I have multiple bikes and non of the other ones have problems.  This part sucks.  Beta needs to step it up.  I will dump this machine once its fixed, never to buy this brand again.   To many other machines without problems.   

You are way off the  mark if you think other makes are in general more reliable than beta.

just trying to get some discussion going.  I like my Beta, just cannot believe the effort they put into this particular part.   Gears have been around along time in motorbikes and should not break like this.    Just another problem to solve.  i am trying to make this bike better, but in the future I will do much research on problems with bikes before I buy.   This particular year of Beta is the issue.  Just making a statement on my dislike and bad taste, did not mean to offend.   I love your Beta as much as you.  

Lots of Beta owners around here and several Rev4s now and past, never heard of issues like this. Just a thought here, no offence or finger pointing intended: Do you stab at your kick lever before letting them ''Mesh together'' completely? This method is big killer of any kickstart assembly, especially the cogs in a light weight trials motor. Hope you can get sorted soon and back on the pegs.

• Like 1

Paul, thanks for the tip.  I try not to kick the bike like my 500, but who knows.   I have four boys riding it so between all of us, I am sure someone or all kick it to hard.   The gentleman I purchased the bike from had three broken gears and this is my first.   Bottom line is the gear is a poor design.  I will work on making it better.   I really, really like the bike, just disgusted with these gears.   This is just another problem to solve. This particular year of Beta is the issue.  Just making a statement on my dislike and bad taste, did not mean to offend.   Tim p, I love your Beta as much as you.  Frustrated not being able to ride.   :(