4rt wont start

Mac1

Hi

Im new to these trial bikes bear with me for my lack of knowledge.  

Bought a bike yesterday started on the fourth kick at the shop, tried starting this morning and no go.  I do reset the ecu and press the kill switch before trying to start.  

Many thanks in advance

Thanks for replying Basil.

Already tried without throttle.  

Took spark plug out, was black so i cleaned it and put it back in with no Joy.  Ill get a new plug on monday.  Also increased the idle, made a purr but thats all.  

Absolutely 0 throttle should be needed, I have never been able to get mine started with even the slightest throttle.  

I found out that two ways to rest work, option one kill switch and 0 throttle with a minimum of 2 kicks 3 seems to be better or, option 2, no kill switch and full throttle with the same 2 to 3 kicks, though I believe the full throttle option is what is in my owners manual.  

Good luck.

Edited by jonnyc21

I had some problems with my 2015 starting so I increase the tickover just slightly. May be about 1/4 of a turn after resetting the ECU (3 full throttle kick) and trying 3 steady kicks. Then repeating the process. I recall it was about 3/4 to 1 turn I eventually increased the tickover. 

When starting I found it best to leave my hand off the throttle all together until I got used to not moving the throttle when starting. I think it’s a natural reaction to just pump the throttle slightly when kicking the bike. Remember telling someone to stop pumping the throttle when starting a 4RT and he gave me a curse response about “he wasn’t” but you could see that he was. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mac1 said:

... Will a CR6ah9 be ok?

Standard is CR6EH-9, optional hotter plug for cold weather is CR5EH-9. May want to try the cold weather plug.

And the idle may still be too low, you may want to try the process Barfy mentioned. Or, I've found setting the idle screw 3-turns out from full-in will usually get to starting. You may have to turn it in a little from there once it's going, since it may be a little high.

If you don't have an Owners Manual, you can download one HERE.

• Like 1