Kickstart position on 359???

potto

Ok long story short the bike kicked back and wreaked my leg,70mm by 15mm tear in my lower leg,as you may understand its a mess,I made a mistake in starting the bike and its my fault ,bike got some words thrown at it,nevermind lesson learnt...as a wise man said you only stop learning when you die.

My main question is kickstart lever position?????,currently it is about 1130 as the clock go's when in the start /kickdown position is locked in ?

I'am going to look @ the timing and points however after I got it started first after a very long time it cracked up and run good,,anyone got a 1st o 2nd kickstart setup for the starting? ,remembering I need a healed leg and the correct footwear.

Many thanks Dean.

Not certain what you said there but am thinking you were hit by the kickstart because the timing is out and you want to know where to set the storage position of the kickstart lever. Next bit about first and second kickstart setup I'm totally lost.

The return stop should hold the lever at between 1 and 2 o'clock.

You should start the starting stroke with the lever at about 10 o'clock and with the piston just past top dead centre. Use the clutch to get the lever in the right spot after you position the piston.

Don't worry I'm still recovering from a fairly severe calf impact from trying to kickstart a Bultaco with a faulty capacitor. The wound has healed but I've still got a beaut haematoma and it happened a month ago.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, feetupfun said:

Not certain what you said there but am thinking you were hit by the kickstart because the timing is out and you want to know where to set the storage position of the kickstart lever. Next bit about first and second kickstart setup I'm totally lost.

The return stop should hold the lever at between 1 and 2 o'clock.

You should start the starting stroke with the lever at about 10 o'clock and with the piston just past top dead centre. Use the clutch to get the lever in the right spot after you position the piston.

Don't worry I'm still recovering from a fairly severe calf impact from trying to kickstart a Bultaco with a faulty capacitor. The wound has healed but I've still got a beaut haematoma and it happened a month ago.

Thanks guys,oh well atleast I'am not the only one who has had kick back injuries,my old XL350 left its fair share of pain @ times lol.

I have confirmed the lever is correctly positioned so feel better about that.

Got my new Betor shocks from Spain off an e-bay seller,landed here cost me 330NZD which I thought was very reasonable,front forks are next ,need to wait till leg is healed better.

feetupfun my reference was somewhat unclear sorry ,really I was asking for the best starting procedure which you pretty much covered thanks,for fear of further damaging my leg again is it possible to start the bike without sitting on it ?,can you kick it over standing alongside it ?....I have done this before in the past but think the bikes I did it on had kickstarts that were lower on the motor and may not get the same downward force.

• Like 1

I haven't tried using my left leg with the 348 and don't remember seeing anyone else do it either. I suspect it might be awkward having to hold the bars and lift your foot so high. It works OK doing it off the bike on a Bultaco though (but on the other side). You've got me wanting to give it a try now

19 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I haven't tried using my left leg with the 348 and don't remember seeing anyone else do it either. I suspect it might be awkward having to hold the bars and lift your foot so high. It works OK doing it off the bike on a Bultaco though (but on the other side). You've got me wanting to give it a try now

Thanks mate,its about needs be ,had stiches out to today but doc says a long healing time...what the hell I love fixing stuff and a rest from my latest car restore,bikes are SO easy compared.

Got carb rebuild kit from local parts supplier and he showed me his huge warehouse of british bike parts and he has trials stuff also there was a TL 200 and a 2 smoke TL which it really liked ,its TLM260r I believe but never had a chance to look closely as he was real busy....I want it.

Carb done and cleaned up ,clear coated the whole thing to prevent corrosion of the alloy and steel fastening.

P1010332.JPG

Edited by potto
add more

8 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I only start the 349 with my left leg, far easier than using your right.  It lets you tilt the bike away from you a bit, so you're less likely to slip off (I can't do that easily when sat on the bike)

And yes, I'd never start that bike without decent boots on!!

• Like 1

On 16/01/2018 at 4:43 PM, potto said:

Ok long story short the bike kicked back and wreaked my leg,70mm by 15mm tear in my lower leg,as you may understand its a mess,I made a mistake in starting the bike and its my fault ,bike got some words thrown at it,nevermind lesson learnt...as a wise man said you only stop learning when you die.

My main question is kickstart lever position?????,currently it is about 1130 as the clock go's when in the start /kickdown position is locked in ?

I'am going to look @ the timing and points however after I got it started first after a very long time it cracked up and run good,,anyone got a 1st o 2nd kickstart setup for the starting? ,remembering I need a healed leg and the correct footwear.

Many thanks Dean.

Far as I know the kickstart position sounds about right at 11.30 locked in - kick it over until you get compression then ease it just past with the de-compressor, release decomp and give it a boot and it should start (if it's primed and ready) - make sure you wear boots. Had a RT360 Yam many years ago that would rip your shin out every time if you didn't have good boots and follow correct procedure.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 1:08 AM, potto said:

Thanks mate,its about needs be ,had stiches out to today but doc says a long healing time...what the hell I love fixing stuff and a rest from my latest car restore,bikes are SO easy compared.

Got carb rebuild kit from local parts supplier and he showed me his huge warehouse of british bike parts and he has trials stuff also there was a TL 200 and a 2 smoke TL which it really liked ,its TLM260r I believe but never had a chance to look closely as he was real busy....I want it.

Carb done and cleaned up ,clear coated the whole thing to prevent corrosion of the alloy and steel fastening.

P1010332.JPG

Did you really clear coat the carb?

• Like 1