New to sport bike selection

tcollins

After 30 years of riding dirt and road, I was very happy to start on a 125 Gasgas.  It could haul my 170lbs around no problem for technical stuff, and made learning a lot easier than on a larger bike - you're searching for traction, learning how to use momentum, etc, not blasting over a tabletop or dragging a knee!

• Like 2

Are all the 300's for sale because people are scared of them? I bought my 300 KTM which had only done 9.6hrs in a year or more... think the guy had looped it more than he was on it. :D 

Never ridden a 300 but came to trials a little over a year ago onto a 250 2T GG, for me it's plenty.... completes my holy trinity of 2T offroaders (200/250/300) :)

Over 10yrs on the road on SS 600, over 5yrs offroad on 2T KTMs 200/300, 6ft & 15st.... only bought the 300 as I'm doing a lot of desert riding now and who wants to be seen on a 4T?!? :D  Having seen my cousin who doesn't ride loop my mate's 250 Beta, I was wary of mine at first (it still can bite) but was used to the other two strokes so knew I could get my head round it.

I bought a 300 because I could not find any 250cc examples for sale.

I'd agree with most of the feedback in this thread - you aren't going to die in a ball of flames or anything but I do find it tires me more than my previous 250. When I get really tired I feel the bike is riding me, rather than me riding the bike.

I did 4 laps of 10 sections at the weekend, and by lap 4 I was really knackered to be honest. I think a 200 or 250 would have been less tiring, but it wasn't like the 300 was completely unsuitable or anything like that.

I just started riding trials, similar to you I came from road racing and supermoto.  I ride a 125 beta and have ridden a friend's 300 a couple of times.  You'll be fine on a 300, but there is a lot more motor there.  But I really enjoy riding the 125 and I've never felt like the motor is holding me back.  Rather the opposite, I really have to focus on exploiting the clutch and flywheel to move the bike around.  I've always enjoyed flogging little bikes, and this is no different.  Horses for courses as the big bike was fun too, but I hardly had to move the throttle.  Some people prefer that.  Probably more important to get a bike in good shape and start riding than worry too much about displacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation. I am looking for a first trials bike after years on other bikes. Ideally I would like a 200 or a 250 but it seems that the only things for sale nearby (inside of 5 hours drive) that are not 15 years old, are 300's. I do wonder why... If its just the self perpetuating cycle of "well everyone else has a 300, so I'll get a 300", or if the people who bought 200s and 250s are the ones that are hanging on to them.

Edited by user7743
Typo

I seem to find that the people who value the 200 and 250's are more reluctant to sell because they are harder to get so hold out tell they are ready to get a new one.  And that can be a bit.  

Also with the enduro or MX group with the 4T 450's and 2T 300's they don't always see a 250 as a good size. They seem to forget that a trials bike is 155lbs not 225 or something...?  

9 hours ago, drewnabobber said:

Get in touch with the local trials clubs and start asking around if anyone might have a bike for sale.  Seems that the smaller bikes usually go between friends or club members and are never advertised.

This is what I have done, there just isn't much moving at the moment. I guess I will have to be patient.