When to buy a new bike??

al_orange

So I've got a beat up old 2001 rev 3 270. I've spent a bit of cash doing it up and it runs fairly well, the brakes are fine and I've serviced the forks. However,  the swingarm bearings are shot and I expect the shock has had it. It's the age where I can't get the shock serviced so have been living with it as I'm just a novice anyway. However,  when I see other people's bikes and their suspension just looks so much more responsive,  I do wonder how much of an affect it's having. I'm also 230lbs so would prefer a stiffer spring but cannot get one for my bike. 

I notice that over rocks, its pretty fine (probably because it's so unresponsive) but it does struggle for grip in the mud and it doesn't turn thay well because the back is overloaded. Now of course, my ability is the limiting factor and I'm well aware of that but at what point does a newer bike (I.e one with the correct springs and a serviced shock etc.) actually make a difference? 

I keep dipping in to trials (every year for a few months) but I want to give it a proper go this time. Should I persevere with the old horse or bite the bullet and get a new one? 

(Money isn't a massive problem but I don't want to waste it either). 

Ta. 

Ask to try a few mates bikes at your next trial.All modern bikes are brilliant,there's a big difference between yours and a recent one.Dont think you need brand new,1/2 years old well maintained bikes that haven't had a hard time are out there

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I was expecting a bit more "it's you, not the bike".. which it mainly is but good to hear that a newer bike is appreciably better. 

I was looking at a 16 Evo 250 but in a very out of character way, my missus said "well for that sort of money you should just get a new one that you know 100%"!!  I was half way through explaining that 1500 quid is quite a difference before I realised and shut up.

I do need to have a go on something newer but my mates have 07/08 and no stranger is going to let a crappy novice have a go on a new bike!  I'm definitely sticking with beta though so that makes life a bit easier. 

So if it's not a stupid question,  what are the main real world differences between a 17/18 evo and an ancient Rev3? 

Just now, oni nou said:

There are two Rev 3 Paioli rear shocks in decent condition on Ebuy UK right now ...one is £95 the other £150.

Thanks!  I did see them but I thought they couldn't be serviced and/or I'm stuck with the standard spring?  

5 minutes ago, al_orange said:

Thanks for the feedback. I was expecting a bit more "it's you, not the bike".. which it mainly is but good to hear that a newer bike is appreciably better. 

I was looking at a 16 Evo 250 but in a very out of character way, my missus said "well for that sort of money you should just get a new one that you know 100%"!!  I was half way through explaining that 1500 quid is quite a difference before I realised and shut up.

I do need to have a go on something newer but my mates have 07/08 and no stranger is going to let a crappy novice have a go on a new bike!  I'm definitely sticking with beta though so that makes life a bit easier. 

So if it's not a stupid question,  what are the main real world differences between a 17/18 evo and an ancient Rev3? 

Less weight,better suspension,cleaner running engine with a bit more power,much better brakes,more grip,not had 17 years wear

2 minutes ago, huski said:

Less weight,better suspension,cleaner running engine with a bit more power,much better brakes,more grip,not had 17 years wear

Lol... yes... but would I even notice? :)

I'll have to get a go on something I guess. 

5 minutes ago, oni nou said:

At novice level probably not much more than it being a lighter more agile bike plus you can have some choice in rear shocks and springs to fit[at a price of course] ...buying a new bike does not mean that you can be sure it will be 100% and give no grief. a 2010 on Beta EVO is basically the same bike as a 2016 or newer. A lot of trials bikes see very little use so you can save a lot of money buy searching out one of those older bikes.

So at novice level, would I benefit from the correct springs? In enduro it makes a massive difference so I assume it would be of benefit ti turning and grip? 

There are a handful of nice looking bikes out there. I should have a look. I'm just a bit funny about 2nd hand bikes. Always that nagging feeling that you don't know what it's had done to it.. plus, I know my rev really well but I don't know if I know enough to look at another one.

Random question but have the known issues with the engine case and the stator been fixed in the newer models? 

The newer Evo turns much better than the Rev did and tighter by far. Staying with Beta, it will all be familiar. They are just a little quicker than the Rev, but still are slower than the likes of Sherco, Gas Gas etc. Just can`t beat new for sure, and yes spend the money for proper springs. PS buy newer than a `13.

• Like 1

Loads of great advice there chaps. Thanks a lot. 

I will try my best to get a go on something newer then. I'm also going to a 250 from a 270 with a flywheel weight so there will be a lot to get used to. I am always amazed at what my old bent bike will do but perhaps he's had enough:

Shot swing arm bearings 

Saggy shock

Bent subframe

New pegs and hangers but the frame itself is sagging!

Leaky rear wheel

Bendy rear disc

No graphics

Dodgy jetting

Worn sprockets

Dirty air filter

Brand new piston and replated cylinder that were promptly drowned. 

And the handle bar brace squeeks when I go down hills.. 

And that's after I've spent more than the bikes worth and more hours than I can count doing it up! Still, it just keeps on going and going and I enjoy riding it. 

6 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Sounds to me that you made your mind up beforehand but money is better off in the bank [trials bike not an investment for sure] for when the sxxt hits the fan; unless of course you are lucky enough to have a money tree as a lot have nowadays .....or is that just access to credit and walking the highwire without a net?

I just mean that if I am to carry on doing trials then it's inevitable that I'll need a new bike but I'm pondering if it's worth doing it now (I.e. will it help me improve) or wait until I'm a clubman/B.

I certainly don't have a money tree! At this point in time I am fortunate enough to be able to consider buying a new trials bike if I feel it's worth the investment. I will check out the nearly new (1-2 year old) market too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Sounds to me that you made your mind up beforehand but money is better off in the bank [trials bike not an investment for sure] for when the sxxt hits the fan; unless of course you are lucky enough to have a money tree as a lot have nowadays .....or is that just access to credit and walking the highwire without a net?

Money in this day and age is not better off in the bank. You wake up in the morning some day with zero balance or the bank just stays closed. (Greece ring a bell) That digital money does not really exist. Buy the bike, have some fun and bury some cash every payday. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Money in this day and age is not better off in the bank. You wake up in the morning some day with zero balance or the bank just stays closed. (Greece ring a bell) That digital money does not really exist. Buy the bike, have some fun and bury some cash every payday. 

It's all totally off topic but actually,  I'm trying to allow myself a bit more indulgence rather than squirrelling it all away for the day I may need some fictional amount of money. I wouldn't even be considering a new bike normally. To be fair, apart from the oultlay on the bike, trials is amazingly cheap. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrturtle said:

Dont know where you are but Inch perfect trials n Lancs are holding a free open test day on the 26th of Jan.  

Thanks.  I did see a post of theirs advertising a load of new stock but I'm down south so it's a bit too far.