When to buy a new bike??

al_orange

I am showing my age now, having ridden bikes for over 50 years, and in that time I have never noticed anyone improve right away after getting a brand new bike.   One old Moto-X mate, who I used to dice with regularly, rode a clapped out bike..  Forks loose, rear wheel loose, and engine well run-in.  Bought a new version of that bike, and I could easily beat him then.   I think he was treating it too well, and didn't want to scratch the paint.  I can think of three other examples where they have gone backwards in the results.

The new bike might start better, and be more comfortable, and look better,  but I don't think it will improve your results.

Edited by scifi

Bike of choice a TY175 that was ***** as new and giving advice? Just kidding. My son last year went from a 2012 Sherco 250 to a 300 four stroke Beta and was instantly twice as good. Granted at 19 you can do that. Having the same (More or less) time on bikes, it can go both ways. The wrong bike (The most common was the 4RT) can make a rider go backwards. Most riders who get a new bike actually get better, not because of a new bike. They get mentally better. Either from the confidence of having a new bike and/or that they try harder since they bucked up for a better ride. But having a bike that is fresh, tight, and better suspension brakes and tires really should not hurt a rider. Sure I can jump on any twin shock and turn up a muddy bank better than most on a modern bike. But throw in an undercut ledge, and I will take the newest bike any day.  

• Like 2

To be honest I don’t see much difference between my ‘13 Evo and my ‘18 Evo other than better shifting.  After I got my ‘13 I noticed just how much better it handled and tracked than my beloved ‘08. The difference was astounding. 

You know you want a newer bike. You’ve been cleared by the boss. What the hell are you waiting for?

Seriously any Evo with the hydroformed frame is a quantum leap from your 2001.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, al_orange said:

Loads of great advice there chaps. Thanks a lot. 

I will try my best to get a go on something newer then. I'm also going to a 250 from a 270 with a flywheel weight so there will be a lot to get used to. I am always amazed at what my old bent bike will do but perhaps he's had enough:

Shot swing arm bearings 

Saggy shock

Bent subframe

New pegs and hangers but the frame itself is sagging!

Leaky rear wheel

Bendy rear disc

No graphics

Dodgy jetting

Worn sprockets

Dirty air filter

Brand new piston and replated cylinder that were promptly drowned. 

And the handle bar brace squeeks when I go down hills.. 

And that's after I've spent more than the bikes worth and more hours than I can count doing it up! Still, it just keeps on going and going and I enjoy riding it. 

I'd come up with a different user name when advertising that one if I were you☺

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I'd come up with a different user name when advertising that one if I were you☺

Lol.. I've no intention of selling it. It's maybe worth a few/two hundred as it runs fine and has good tyres and brakes so I'll just hang on to it. My missus can use it for a bit too. There's something liberating about having a bike that owes you nothing but still starts second kick every time.

And although that list is long, there's an equally long list of all the new parts and work I've done on it. 

Edited by al_orange
  • Like 2