New to me 12' sherco. Not in love with the formula controls, options?

Jonny360

I see that the 2012 Sherco ST 2.9 formula controls are not well loved online. Weirdly I seemed to miss this in my research before buying this bike. So now after the fact and after some more riding. My front brake is odd, it goes 0-100% braking very quickly but then I can still pull the lever all the way to the bar and it feels spongy. The rear brake is weak and I have to apply a ton of force to get it to lock up. My clutch feel is quite heavy, comparable to my old 315r montesa, and nothing like the gasgas clutch weight I was hoping for. 

So what are my options? Is it worth trying to "fix" these formula controls, new pads, bleeding, rebuilds? What are my options for replacement if its not worth trying to fix what I have?

Yes they did,but you can still get rebuild kits for the master cylinders.The Formula stuff was pitiful when new,don't waste your time with it.The latest Braktec products are good too,but expensive when new and the early stuff was poorly made .There are Trials bike breakers on E,,y,good luck 

You are never going to get the lightness of a gasgas clutch on a sherco, no matter what master cylinder! In 2012 i swapped a brand new formula clutch master cylinder on a gg for a brand new ajp and it didnt make the clutch any better. But yours are 5 year old, so....

Edited by faussy

With all of the complaints about hydraulics on modern trials bikes, has anyone tried retrofitting with something like KX65 brakes.  Japanese components are very reliable but would MX brakes have the feel needed in trials?  KTM50 brakes must be pretty tiny too.  Would they be as light as trials components.

Edited by mcman56

So what would be the most advisable way forward? Find used AJP from the 2011 bikes if possible? Buy brand new braktec? If the clutch just is the way it is ill just live with the formula clutch. I lived with the montesa so no worries there. I think i'd start with a complete front brake system replacement as thats the one that bothers me the most. 

There's New and used AJP on E---y uk ,I'd start with the front brake calliper and master cylinder too.Not sure if the Formula brake hose fits,I'd then swap the rear calliper.If the clutch works OK but is just heavier than you like leave it.The latest Braktec is good ,you might find it easier to obtain locally?Theres no cheap way to sort it unfortunately but once it's done forget the cost and enjoy the bike 

Another possible option is check classified  for a dead Sherco to buy for a parts donor. One other thing to be aware of is Sherco's up till 2010/11ish used a clutch master cylinder with a different pivot point to make lever pull a little easier, they look just like any other AJP (lever is also different).

12 hours ago, faussy said:

You are never going to get the lightness of a gasgas clutch on a sherco, no matter what master cylinder! In 2012 i swapped a brand new formula clutch master cylinder on a gg for a brand new ajp and it didnt make the clutch any better. But yours are 5 year old, so....

Well you are partly right. All Gas Gas did was go to a lighter spring. Which you can do on any bike.