clutch spring tool

mitty

morning 

is there a another way to install the clutch spring pegs without the special tool ? perhaps an home made version ? or does anyone in the the west mids have one to lend in exchange for beer 

cheers all

Yes, cut a slice slightly larger than the diameter of the pin through an old scoket. Just make sure that is big enough to fit over the retaining post and large enough to put a squeeze on the spring.

Edited by model80
  • Like 1

When I did my first Bultaco engine rebuild in approximately 1977 we did not have the special tool. My Dad compressed the clutch spring and cup with two screw drivers and I removed/inserted the pins with long nose pliers. It was many years before I got round to buying the tool.

If I remember right this method involved a lot of swearing.

Stuart

• Like 4

We made one from a knackered file and a couple of bolts. It's made in the style of the miller tool which screws into the case as a lever point and then pushes down on the springs. I much prefer the screw on retainers on later machines.

Looked at the Miller offering and then decided I could make my own. Especially when I saw the InMotion tool that was almost identical. Sorted the bits needed from my workshop and just needed to drill 3 holes and bend a 90 degree bend to a piece of mild steel flat bar. Cut a slot in a piece of tube and jobs done, works a treat to??Top tip.....with the clutch apart you can by careful selection of sockets reshape the spring cups and spring top hats as invariably they will be bent. Select a socket that the cup slides into and now select a socket that fits the cup flare by gentle tapping with a hammer the cup flange can be re shaped. The top hat can be dealt with in the same way, I used both 3/8 drive and 1/4 drive sockets and the results for me were very pleasing as the previous owner must have been limited in the skills department?