Fuel mixture Montesa 349?

potto

Know the correct mix but need to get the least engine wear and hopefully reasonable amounts of smoke out the back lol,have picked non synthetic oil because oil hopefully  has moved on since the late 70's ,really not a fan of synthetic oil so need an answer from folks that have been running the "right" mixture for a while,was thinking 1:30...comments please.

As an aside it have exhaust off and not a mark on the piston,and same on the inlet side,want to keep it that way:).

Cheers Dean.

On 26/1/2018 at 3:53 AM, potto said:

Know the correct mix but need to get the least engine wear and hopefully reasonable amounts of smoke out the back lol,have picked non synthetic oil because oil hopefully  has moved on since the late 70's ,really not a fan of synthetic oil so need an answer from folks that have been running the "right" mixture for a while,was thinking 1:30...comments please.

As an aside it have exhaust off and not a mark on the piston,and same on the inlet side,want to keep it that way:).

Cheers Dean.

I ride my old Fantics at 80:1 in trial classic competition with sint oil, sure 50:1 with sint oil is ready for a motocross bike, if you ride your bike for trial (always low rpm) you don't need a lot of oil in mix, if you ride your engine quite fast (enduro style) you need more oil

more oil mean more deposit on ring (sometime blocked) exaust and silencer so i think it's very important know how you ride your engine

which type and brand of oil you can find in your country ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alberto said:

I ride my old Fantics at 80:1 in trial classic competition with sint oil, sure 50:1 with sint oil is ready for a motocross bike, if you ride your bike for trial (always low rpm) you don't need a lot of oil in mix, if you ride your engine quite fast (enduro style) you need more oil

more oil mean more deposit on ring (sometime blocked) exaust and silencer so i think it's very important know how you ride your engine

Thanks,oil I have is Spectro 2T which I was sold as a mineral oil,most of my riding will be slow trail riding as I'am old and a bit out of practice riding:D.

13 hours ago, alberto said:

Please can we have an end to this myth being circulated. A correctly tuned engine on good quality oil and fuel does not suffer from these problems even at 25:1

1 hour ago, dadof2 said:

Please can we have an end to this myth being circulated. A correctly tuned engine on good quality oil and fuel does not suffer from these problems even at 25:1

Thanks heaps ,really thought I would stick to factory mix but putting " feelers " out for actual experience with this bike....have owned 2 YZ125's and Bultaco 175 not to mention one premix sprint ko-cart so failures left right and centre with people playing with mixture.

Remember seeing early piston/ring wear on the YZ's and totally seizure on the karts @ the end of the main straight throttle off ,mine never did...right mixture and tuning.

Cheers Dean.

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

Put plenty of oil in, the more you put in the better[ More oil = more lubrication]..make sure its mineral oil if you can get it or if not a semi synthetic oil... old bikes don't like modern oils they are old and don't like new fangled stuff.

Cheers man,agree totally ,my base knowledge is from real experience remembering my budget for racing bikes and karts in those days was rather limited,I needed stuff to last or was out of the game.

I guess if folks have the money they can run what they like but I will put my money on the right mix,thanks to all that have replied,cheers.

Over and out ,Dean :):).

I would not go as far as looking for mineral oil but I would stick to original mix ratios which would be 25:1 or 32:1

A good oil at a good price for air cooled engines is oregon 2t chain saw oil. Modern fully synthetics intended for liquid cooled engines are low viscosity and rey on a high strength thin film of oil which is not ideally suited to the larger piston to bore clearances in air cooled engines which suit a more viscous oil.

I think both Millers and Silkolene make classic air cooled 2T oils.

Edited by dadof2