Time for new rings and little end?

barfy

My son's 2016 125 is a little rattlely, smokes slightly (running it at about 90:1) and poor at starting when it's hot (sometimes stalls). I clean the air filter every trial and carburetor every two or three trials because we live down south where it's often muddy. So I was wondering if it was time to change the rings and small end. I'm used to a 4 stroke where anything like that means new valve seals, rings and small end. I was wondering if there is anything else I should to while doing the work, or if it might be something else.

Two strokes are meant to smoke a little. I think Sherco recommend 50:1 fuel:oil ratio and no way would I ever run a 125 at 90:1   No way should a well maintained and properly lubricated 2016 trials engine need rebuilding already.

Try Castrol A747 at 50:1. If it cures your problems keep using it, if not strip and measure the top end. Before someone posts contradicting this suggestion, I do know that A747 is not really a trials engine oil but it is a very good lubricant and usually quietens top end considerably.

• Like 1

Does your son ride the bike well? if he does he likely revs it hard at times.   I have never seen a new ring fix a piston rattle, an off to Langcourts would likely be needed.

Stick with 80 to 1 ratio meself, and away from the Castrol 747, which runs quiet because it gunks up a low revving motor, not designed for it!

Thanks for the advice. 

I was mainly concerned about the smoking and poor starting when it’s hot. It’s not pouring smoke and when starting occasionally it might need the choke especially if it stalls.

Although a bit of a rattle compared to a new engine it’s not that bad. I run it on Putoline TT Pro 2 Stroke oil and settled at 90:1 as opposed to the 80:1 because someone commented that it was a bit smokey and probably had too much 2 stroke oil. They reconnected to run it at 100:1, but I though that was a bit weak. 

My son rarely nails the engine because the majority of sections around here are tight rather than big.

Perhaps I’ll try a hotter plug to see it that improves the hot starting when it’s hot.

not rattling badly then yes, ring it and go, as a bit or rattle is a non issue. Agree on the EIX plug as well, but you know, they allways need a good thrashing or a drag race or two during a day out, just to get some real heat into the exhaust and get the gunk flowing. mind you it may get real smokey for a bit, but that is a good thing.

• Like 1