Kick Starting a 2018 Beta Evo 200

Lefebvre

Hi! I am a 69 years old who will start Trial riding for the first time of his life next spring in QC, Canada.

I have 3 years experience as a Novice dirt rider, I try to go slow but sure...

I also have bad knees with many surgeries, 3 total and a valgus tear last year. So, I am damage goods...

Non the less, I love the sport and I will ride as long as the knees will hold me strong enough on my 2016 Beta X Trainer and my new coming 2018 Beta Evo 200 or Evo 125.

The dealer will have both bikes coming in the spring.

I had chosen the 200 but like the idea of the 125 also, the dealer doesn't mind which one I choose.

Considering my age and condition, what do you suggest?

Just now, Lefebvre said:

Hi! I am a 69 years old who will start Trial riding for the first time of his life next spring in QC, Canada.

I have 3 years experience as a Novice dirt rider, I try to go slow but sure...

I also have bad knees with many surgeries, 3 total and a valgus tear last year. So, I am damage goods...

Non the less, I love the sport and I will ride as long as the knees will hold me strong enough on my 2016 Beta X Trainer and my new coming 2018 Beta Evo 200 or Evo 125.

The dealer will have both bikes coming in the spring.

I had chosen the 200 but like the idea of the 125 also, the dealer doesn't mind which one I choose.

Considering my age and condition, what do you suggest?

I forgot to ask the main question: I have been told they are very, very hard to start? Will it be a burden just to kick start the bike? My elevation will be roughly from 250' to 900'

Please give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

All I can say is I am 67 and have a 200 beta evo and find it a doddle to start, I am used to left foot kicking as I have had bultacos since 1968 I still have no problems with my T350 bulto either, it's about technique, Kickstarter at 10 past and firm prod, not a "kick"

• Like 1

Ditto what [ MIKE]  Hillary says including the short A*** bit

go for the 200 in my opinion not at all difficult  starting  unlike my previous 250 gasgas

[my knees  not the bikes fault]

Cheers and enjoy keep us informed on your decision/progress

Betas are known as easy starting bikes.  I have a 28" inseam and the kickers are a bit high.  I have a 75 year old friend that rides a 125 Beta and a 76 year old friend that rides a 250 but they do not have knee issues.   You should try them both if you can.  Besides starting, you should consider what flavor of power you want.  Response, like when double blipping, on the late model Beta 125s is very quick.  I have a Rev3 200 and the response was fairly slow.  It had more of a smooth tractor feel to it. 

My 300 Factory is physically hard to kick (as in it has a good amount of compression), but easy to start in that it fires first kick 99 times out of 100. In fact, other than when it's running out of petrol or been parked up for months I don't think it's ever not started on the first kick.

• Like 1