Queuing at Sections.

scifi

Within MOTA, if a rider wants to compete for the end of season trophy they must be a "member in good standing".

This requires two things

1. be a member of a MOTA sanctioned club (We have 6 clubs)

2. work a minimum of 2 events (each club hosts 2 events, you work your club's events and then have 10 events to ride for the season)

This system works out pretty good, majority of those that ride the events are members and work their fare share of events.  There are only a few that just ride events.  The "just riders" do pay the entry fee so that does support the sport in a small way.

• Like 1

Hi Zippy, that seems like a good idea.  Does it mean you have events with more than ten sections..?

I remember many years ago, that the only incentive to marshall any motor event, was that you got to wear a Doctor's white lab-coat and a Castrol Arm-Band..  Now quite a few events here have catering services, and the helpers get a free meal ticket..  i.e. a Beef-burger and cup of tea.

( I think having to wear a Day-Glo yellow jacket can be a big dis-incentive.)

In NETA we have to work one event if there are 13 or less scheduled and two for 14 or more. Getting observers is always the hardest thing to do. As for queuing up at events, most of our loops are short maybe mile and a half through some pretty technical trail. Worse than the sections in some places. One thing that is noted in our rules and I think it needs to be highlighted is a rider can start at any section but all sections must be ridden in strict numerical sequence. So if you want to skip the line at 1,2,3... and don't mind the extra loop you can start where there is no line. This works extremely well as observers further in see riders earlier. The lines at the first few sections thin considerably and it's easier to finish since the extra loop takes ~15-20 minutes. Much better than waiting in line for 20 minutes at section 1, 15 minutes at section 2, 10 minutes at section 3....  

One thing that is funny is people seem to think that making a long technical loop helps the problem. There have been many events where I'll leave one section, ride an exhaustive, long technical section of loop and end up at the next section within sight of the previous section. And that helps me finish earlier how? The long lines are still at the first few sections. Granted it can be fun to ride loop trail but if I wanted to trail ride I'd buy an enduro bike. The breadsticks might be delicious but nobody goes to an expensive restaurant for the breadsticks.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 2

We just used to ride in groups and mark each other at events where observers were in short supply. I hated it where you were supposed to make yourself, it was all I could manage to get through the sections let alone try and remember what marks I dropped. 

Although the idea of less laps of lots of sections is very appealing very for of the venues we used to use regularly could manage more than 12 sections at a lot you would be hard pushed to get 10. 

We would try and reduce the problem by setting riders off at time intervals with the odd numbers starting at section 1 and even numbers half way round. 

22 hours ago, scifi said:

Hi Zippy, that seems like a good idea.  Does it mean you have events with more than ten sections..?

I remember many years ago, that the only incentive to marshall any motor event, was that you got to wear a Doctor's white lab-coat and a Castrol Arm-Band..  Now quite a few events here have catering services, and the helpers get a free meal ticket..  i.e. a Beef-burger and cup of tea.

( I think having to wear a Day-Glo yellow jacket can be a big dis-incentive.)

My club has a very small property, about 10 acres. We usually run 8 sections with 5 loops.  About half of the venues are able to run 10 sections with 4 loops.

We don't run into too many lines longer than 5 or 6 riders.

MOTA does the same as @dan williams stated, we can start at any section as long as the sections are ridden sequentially from that point.

This does help spread the riders out.  I typically don't mind waiting for one or two riders ahead of me, gives me a bit of a break.  Also line sizes vary through out the event due to people stopping for a drink, rest, fuel, after each loop.

I think it unrealistic to expect to ride straight up to then into a section without some delay, it does give time to chat to other competitors also oportunity to see which line other riders are taking through that section or if the section has changed appreciably. Some observers are much quicker recording scores than others, a longer section takes a greater time to ride through especially if it is one of the more demanding on the day.

More sections per lap is the way forward. It needs more riders to put effort into bringing an observer. Also more people to set out the trial. 

Setting out a trial can be fun with a bunch of mates, it's no fun if there's only two of you.

I've marked out a trial , got my wife and son to observe and then back marked before. If everyone did that a couple of times a year the job would be sorted.

• Like 2

Recent popular trial, 130 entries 20 sections on a single venue, couple of technical sections resulted in queue's. The problem is then compounded by riders passing the section and then doing It twice on their second lap so the queue never went away as these riders were effectively staying there for their second go rather than going off to do a full lap.

A couple of ACU rules ( probably every controlling body has similar ) , firstly sections must be ridden in sequence and more importantly when a rider fails a section he/she must leave it, often the wait is due to someone getting stuck, getting a five then continuing to try to ride a section and possibly getting stuck again !

Queueing in the sun having a chat and watching other riders is part of the sport, but the fun disappears when the line is 20 long, it's just above freezing in driving rain and that bloke has just got stuck again trying to get up a section he obviously is never going to get up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, collyolly said:

... often the wait is due to someone getting stuck, getting a five then continuing to try to ride a section and possibly getting stuck again !

I do that, I'm learning - sorry but you'll just have to wait

(though if I'm properly stuck I do just extricate myself)