250 to 280 cylinder swap

drca

I have a buddy selling a brand new 280 cylinder + piston.  I am thinking about getting it to upgrade my 250 (2013 TXT Pro).  My question is: are the heads the same or do I need to get a new head to?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, section swept said:

Lot of work for extra 30cc’s! ?

Yeah, altho work isn't as much the problem as the $'s.  I need to take the engine out because I have a cracked engine mount at the back (and it's cheaper than buying a new bike) so once the engine is out, changing the jug / piston isn't that big of a job (especially on a 2 stroke!).

Ooh sorry to hear that, good Tig welder operator needed, hope you get that sorted ok. Reckon you’ll find that the cylinder head for 250/280 are the same but you may need a special (280) head gasket. Main question is the barrel the right one for your 2013 crankcases? When you come to refit the engine back into the frame try to ensure nothing is out of alignment eg frame bent, twisted. Don’t tighten any mounting bolts more than finger tight and then look to see if the frame lugs/engine mounts have any gaps, you may need to shim up if you locate any. ??