oni nou

The problem with trials as a career is theres no money .

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:13 AM, andy said:

Morally, no. I don't think it's my place to blurt a man's salary out on the internet.

Not looking for specifics but when you say "several miles" is that like thousands, 10's of thousands, or hundred's of thousands or are we into the Millions? a regular tenth place finisher in MX makes about $50k a year the top MX riders make over $1M + sponsorship deals. Would it be similar for Trials with Bou and Raga being really the only 2 making top rider type salaries... 

I got the figures for MX from here: https://bizfluent.com/info-12087448-average-salary-professional-motocross-riders.html

Edited by michael_t

I just remembered this old thread...

If Bou is really making < $150K - miles apart from the others would be 10s of thousands - I guess I answered my own question :).. 

On 10/02/2018 at 7:18 AM, breagh said:

Glad he stays with Honda he would really pi$$ everyone off on a Gas Gas.

To be fair to all manufacturers I think he would be a tad useful on any brand 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm no 4rt fan as some will know from previous posts.

I don't think Dougie or Fuji really did better on the 4rt as both had been world champions on 315 montesas. As they were beginning to be overtaken by younger riders then its probably fair to say they did as well on the 4rt ?

Bou was a revelation from the off on the 4rt and was maybe young enough to modify his style to the bikes strengths. Busto really interests me at the moment, its taken him a while to get the hang of the montesa and develop as a rider but I thought he would do much better on the Gas Gas, and he really isn't at the minute.

The late Diego Bosis tested the 4rt when it was first released and predicted that really good riders would be able to adapt and for beginners it wouldn't really matter but for those in between it would be difficult. 

The other interesting thing is the Spanish championship now includes the qualifying race like the world rounds, preparing their riders for the world championship. 

2 hours ago, michael_t said:

Not looking for specifics but when you say "several miles" is that like thousands, 10's of thousands, or hundred's of thousands or are we into the Millions? a regular tenth place finisher in MX makes about $50k a year the top MX riders make over $1M + sponsorship deals. Would it be similar for Trials with Bou and Raga being really the only 2 making top rider type salaries... 

I got the figures for MX from here: https://bizfluent.com/info-12087448-average-salary-professional-motocross-riders.html

https://youtu.be/g-krUWngvX8?t=5m50s    he likes earning millones de Euros     He moved to live in Andorra as a way of getting away from the laws against riding motorcycles in the mountains of Catalonia [there are no such laws at present in Andorra]  ......Andorra is a tax haven for the wealthy.

Edited by oni nou

13 hours ago, oni nou said:

https://youtu.be/g-krUWngvX8?t=5m50s    he likes earning millones de Euros     He moved to live in Andorra as a way of getting away from the laws against riding motorcycles in the mountains of Catalonia [there are no such laws at present in Andorra]  ......Andorra is a tax haven for the wealthy.

What actually happens is there are plenty of places to train in spain if you know where, im thinking its more a tax issue, but as the border isnt policed that strigently, except sunday pm, i guess he says he lives in Andorra.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, breagh said:

Ok Ok I can only speak about the club scene, If someone who rides say a Beta buys a 4rt they always go back;

Maybe it's just a tradition up here.

I agree with the club scene from my personal perception.  I have seen more people who start on a Beta 4T or Montesa 4RT get better going to a 2T than the other way around. 

I am one of the rare exceptions having started on a 2T and do better on a 4T, but I am sure that is just because I am a bit odd myself.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 11:42 AM, worlez said:

Lampkin, Busto 

Didnt Fuji and Colomer also win on Montesas? Amos improved and then wasnt ulf Karlson a champ, what about Rathmell werent hos best results motesa? Shall i go on @breagh?

• Like 1

As I suspect many good riders are paid a retainer by the manufacturer or agent. The rider then makes extra money, sometimes much more than the retainer by endorsements and publicity appearances etc. Then if that rider has a manager that knows their stuff more money will be forthcoming by netting other product manufacturers to sponsor the rider with transport, flights, accommodation and of course clothing and pay the manager. Not all riders or drivers come to that actually get paid to work, they pay the manufacturer for the ride or drive and if any damage is done the rider or driver they pay up. If trials became really popular again this situation would exist more. There are far less ‘works’ or works supported riders now than there used to be. Having sponsored a few trials events and one or two moto-x riders in the past you don’t need to invest vast sums as most are grateful just to be acknowledged. For that reason you see riders with all sorts of manufacturers names displayed, there is even a Rock Band sponsoring junior mx, at least there was last year! Those that willingly plant manufacturers labels onto their bikes, helmets and transport at no charge for advertising need to bear in mind that one tiny sticker prominently displayed on a ‘stars’ bike or clothing could be earning £***per appearence if seen on telly. Formula One is in a different league in that case though. I used to give a rider my advertising boards to display by his van at events and in return would provide him with some free parts, fuel and oil. He also did this at club meetings. An accountant friend whose company looked after a very well known BSB team, told me how much was invested in spare parts and exactly how many spare clutch sets they had back at base. Finally the riders salary was disclosed and it wasn’t that much😳 but the add ons made up for it! It’s only Honda with vast financial clout and cash reserves that can pay the large salaries. Buy then if you were paid £200,000+ to ride a factory bike wouldn’t you do your ultimate best to win and please the factory, especially if they pay while you are injured.🤭