Running issue

David Gillan

Hi all, I have recently got a 315R, I believe it is a 99 model, however the 10th vin number is a V, when I looked it up is states its a 97??

This aside, the bike has been spot on...no issues until yesterday. Chock on, bike started 1st kick, idled fine. Once warmed up I knocked the choke off went to set off and the bike died. Restarted, same thing. I thought it might just not have had warmed up enough. Chock on, started and ran fine. I ended up riding it with the chock on, the bike was fine like this. Knocked chock off again after about 15mins of riding and it died when I went to set off again.  Put chock back on and rode it fine, it took about 40min later and finally bike seemed back to normal. 

Got bike home, stripped card and cleaned, rebuilt, started 1st kick, but didn't get chance to test ride. Went out today, started 1st kick, idled fine but then was a repeat of yesterday, 40mins of riding with chock on before i could knock it off. 

Suggestions??? 

Even one blob of water could cause those symptoms, as it will block the very small jets (maybe not the main jet.).

Had a Commer Van that had a loose petrol filler cap, when it rained the water got into the tank.   The van would slow, but there was sufficient time for me to lift the cabs engine cover, and put my hand over the carb inlet, to suck the water through the jets, before we slowed to a standstill.

I agree with most of what has been written but I feel overweight / sinking floats are unlikely to be the cause of the symptoms you describe. Overweight floats cause rich running, your problem sounds like fuel shortage. is there a clogged filter in your fuel line, inlet to the carb or in tank / tank tap.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. If it was a carb issue why would it run fine after a period of time, wouldn't it be a constant issue?? Someone has also suggested crank seal...stating that when cold it is drawing air in and once the crank has gotten warm the seal has expanded sealing fully... 

Regards to fuel, bike doesn't have a fuel filter, just a straight pipe from tank to carb, so that's something I'm gonna invest in tomorrow, I'll also clean carb again, making sure there is not water in it, put spare tank on with fresh fuel and try that. 

OK, so tonight I once again stripped carb. Gave another thorough clean. Didn't realise that there was a small sponge filter coming from what looks like a breather pipe??? It was soaking and oily, to the point where a good teaspoon of oily water came out. I cleaned it and the pipe, made sure that it was dry too. Not had chance to test ride it yet. As for fuel, it flows no prob when I open the tap, so no blockages there, and there is no filter from what I can see. 

On 2/11/2018 at 0:31 PM, David Gillan said:

Plugged??? (Blocked??) I stripped carb down....floats and needle, large jet which had a jet screwed into it and a long thin jet, cleaned them all and rebuilt... Have I missed something??? 

There is a main jet, like a 118. A choke jet like a 60 and I think the early 315 had two small pilot jets on top of each other in the same hole. Either way the pilot circuit has two other openings. One under the slide and one in front of the slide towards the engine. Spray something into the pilot jet and make sure it comes out of both holes. Also make sure the choke circuit in the bottom of the float bowl is clear. That is where the long jet with the oring sits.

PS if it has two pilot jets, just go ahead and leave the bottom one out. Just leave the top pilot jet in the carb. Be careful taking these out.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

So I test rode the bike tonight and it runs like new. I believe it must have drawn some water in from the same ail filter that was soaked. Anyone have any idea what this filter is?  It is about the size of a 2p, running down a short pipe onto the side of the carb. Also should I clean this and use air filter oil on it or keep it dry? 

12 hours ago, David Gillan said:

So I test rode the bike tonight and it runs like new. I believe it must have drawn some water in from the same ail filter that was soaked. Anyone have any idea what this filter is?  It is about the size of a 2p, running down a short pipe onto the side of the carb. Also should I clean this and use air filter oil on it or keep it dry? 

I always used to clean this on mine and oil as per any other filter. Seem to recall the dellorto carb on these earlier monts was different to others on the idle adjustment - adjust air not fuel or vice versa and would freeze in the cold .

The 2000 on 315s had a updated carb I seem to recall

Glad you've managed to sort the problem - I had a similar issue with stalling off the choke, which turned out to be a blocked pilot jet (they're tiny). Once disassembled, cleaned (Holts carb cleaner) and blown through (air), the bike ran like a dream... lovely steady idle and clean responsive pick-up on the throttle.