Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

micm

Electric Bike BHP

22 posts in this topic

For comparison from the manufacturer's quoted figures for the three 'adult' electric bikes...

Assume that 1KW divided by 747 = 1 BHP.

Note also bike weights.

Mecatecno T18   10 KW, 13.4 BHP, 58 KG.  5 Speed box and clutch.

Electric Motion     12 KW, 16 BHP, 72 KG (Weight varies)  Direct drive no clutch (to speak of).

Gas Gas TXTE     15 KW, 20 BHP, 68 KG  6 Speed box and clutch.

4 people like this

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

11 hours ago, micm said:

For comparison from the manufacturer's quoted figures for the three 'adult' electric bikes...

Assume that 1KW divided by 747 = 1 BHP.

Note also bike weights.

Mecatecno T18   10 KW, 13.4 BHP, 58 KG.  5 Speed box and clutch.

Electric Motion     12 KW, 16 BHP, 72 KG (Weight varies)  Direct drive no clutch (to speak of).

Gas Gas TXTE     15 KW, 20 BHP, 68 KG  6 Speed box and clutch.

I seem to remember seeing some information somewhere that suggested the Mecatecno Dragonfly was to have a 2 speed box. EDIT....yes just found it on internet in the British dealer news announced by Caroline Sandiford announcing its arrival in the UK and the information given says 2 gears with clutch and a weight of 57 kg.

The 2 speed box may cause a problem if they copied the Beta gearbox as with no 3rd gear to go to you will not be able to drop down into 2nd so it will just keep jumping out of gear sometimes.

Edited by oni nou

Señor Nou. Speaking to the importer today who has ridden it at the factory I can confirm the T18 Mecatecno Dragonfly now has a SIX speed gearbox and the battery lasts for 4 hours. It comes supplied with two batteries. Two demo bikes will come into the UK first for possible customers try out. 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, micm said:

Señor Nou. Speaking to the importer today who has ridden it at the factory I can confirm the T18 Mecatecno Dragonfly now has a SIX speed gearbox and the battery lasts for 4 hours. It comes supplied with two batteries. Two demo bikes will come into the UK first for possible customers try out. 

At this rate by the time it arrives it will be a 12 speed ,,,,when he saw the GasGas TXE he must have gone for the 6 speed option. The supply of two batteries is the way to entice buyers ...but at what price.

Edited by oni nou

About £7,500 UK Pounds 

1 person likes this

On a par with EM then. At that, competitive riders will only buy if they feel its better than a petrol bike. 

I don't think many trials riders in my locale are swung by electric bikes' claimed green credentials. Mind you, some guy in sandals with a twig stuck in his beard once told me I should be riding one if I cared about preserving the world's polar bear population, or something.

Edited by cleanorbust

Manufacturer's numbers are to be taken with caution, as they have historically been - with a few exceptions - as reliable true as a Trump tweet.

I would be interested in horsepower and torque curves as compared to the current batch of gas powered bikes, 2t and 4t, but for that one would need access to the right equipment, and providing the testing to a recognized standard.

On the other hand, it would be great to have the bikes ridden by a third party that could offer a unbiased feeling. For example, does the 12KW bike ride like a 200 cc 2t, or a 250 cc 2t? In addition what does it really mean when they say "four hour battery"? The battery provided with the Electric Motion is good for about an hour where we ride, although it is very mountainous here, so not a fair comparison. I am sure that electric motors vary in their efficiency, and therefore comparing batteries by their Amp/Hour ratings may also not provide apples to apples.

I am sure that as time passes, and the electric bike market matures, these questions and more will be answered.

S.

The T 18 I am told by a decent rider who has tested it in Span is that the bike equates to a 200cc 2T like the Beta.  I asked several times about battery longevity and that what what was said, and you get two. An experience World TC minder Brit said the Gasser was quotes 'bloody powerful' and flew out of the sections. Ok subjective but the published figures put it up with the 250 2Ts. Incidentally 15KW is capable of giving a nasty shock not to mention melting the carelessly placed screwdriver.

As for claimed output no doubt they will be tested. Not all Trump tweets are rubbish by the way, some seem spot on in a rough way.

The South of England is densely populated with lots of semi eco nuts and not in my backyarders, so an optional silent bike makes some sense. Other places probably not. 

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, micm said:

The T 18 I am told by a decent rider who has tested it in Span is that the bike equates to a 200cc 2T like the Beta.  I asked several times about battery longevity and that what what was said, and you get two. An experience World TC minder Brit said the Gasser was quotes 'bloody powerful' and flew out of the sections. Ok subjective but the published figures put it up with the 250 2Ts. Incidentally 15KW is capable of giving a nasty shock not to mention melting the carelessly placed screwdriver.

As for claimed output no doubt they will be tested. Not all Trump tweets are rubbish by the way, some seem spot on in a rough way.

The South of England is densely populated with lots of semi eco nuts and not in my backyarders, so an optional silent bike makes some sense. Other places probably not. 

it wont be long now before an electric trials bike will be the only one available to buy new. When not if, and mudguards made from resin impregnated bamboo fibre.

Edited by oni nou

I don't think numbers are important here as electric motor do not delivers power the same way a combustion motor does, and by the way, the first mono where laughed at.

Guy

1 person likes this

"I don't think numbers are important here"

With respect, I think they are.

Watts and Kilowatts in E bikes are comparable to cubic capacity in petrol engined ones and for example the Tesla cars are rated in BHP as described by Jeremy Clarkson road testing one.

The Gas Gas with it's15 KW motor is going to pack a considerable punch in any language.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, micm said:

the Tesla cars are rated in BHP as described by Jeremy Clarkson road testing one.

That's enough to convince me the numbers are not important.

20 hours ago, micm said:

About £7,500 UK Pounds 

At 12,500 Euro, the Gas GasTXTE will be out of reach for most all riders. (And a limited run of 200 bikes)

That's more than a fistful of $$$!!!!

Well I guess if you have a secret section in Central Park NY and live across the way up on 5th Avenue there, you can afford the bucks! 

OK it's for the better off rider like the Tesla Model S is to the similar sports car buyer.

Although in my neck of the woods there are 4 titanium framed Vertigos sculling about and they weigh in at Uk £10,000.

1 person likes this

Well the best and probably forgotten bit about electric motors is this fact, they develop maximum torque from zero revs; just right for trials. That’s why underground electric trains and milk floats tend to leap away from standstill, also the reason your car/lorry starter motor is able to turn over an engine from stationary. Reduction ratio gearing accepted. As for Tesla there is one ( a saloon) near to where I live and trying to keep up on bends is nigh on impossible, it just rockets away into the next bend. There is a nasty rumour gaining weight that sitting in such a powerful electric atmosphere can be harmful to the human body!🤡