Monty 4rt submerged bike

scratcher

Hi guys...i took a tumble at the weekend there goin thru a patch o water.... n i drowned my 4 ride n completly went under the water..now i cannot get a spark at the plug...ive drained the water n chased the water out ma oil but cant get a spark..if i can get a spark n can get it started then i can asses the damage....hopefully none...but its highly unlikley...

Has anyone submerged their 4t bije before n list tbe spark at the plug....any ideas is a help to wat to look for...its only my second time out on it from new....so ye kin imagine how i feel..thanks.

im looking to see any links on the FULL wiring manual n the wiring qualities..ie voltage of certain function..thanks

We totally drowned a Sony Radio once, fortunately in clean water.   We dried it with a hair dryer, then left it in the airing cupboard for a week, it then worked perfectly Ok.   So as long as all the moisture is out of the electrics, and there is no muddy residue, you should be Ok.

• Like 1

Would suggest taking throttle body off and checking all clean. Likewise all electrical connections  -split and spray with wd etc .Kill button - lead etc Check fuel tank and injector.

The 4rt is quiet durable and can cope with deep water, rain, and being jet washed etc 

The Mont is also quite clever and may not spark if something isn't correct elsewhere  - water in air sensor etc.

Good luck

1 hour ago, scifi said:

We totally drowned a Sony Radio once, fortunately in clean water.   We dried it with a hair dryer, then left it in the airing cupboard for a week, it then worked perfectly Ok.   So as long as all the moisture is out of the electrics, and there is no muddy residue, you should be Ok.

That may be true for the electrics but water has probably started to wreak havoc with the engine internals already. It's essential to get a submerged bike emptied of water and running as soon as possible to get rid of internal moisture. The effect of leaving it for a few days can be fatal to bearings and surfaces of precision parts.

• Like 2

I would say that if a bike is on its side such that only the bar end is visible (as I gather from a third party was the case here) water could find its way in through breathers etc.  I wouldn't be taking a chance, but the poster says he has "chased the water out the oil" whatever that may mean.

Hi Scratcher,

get off the fags and spend more time at work instead of out on your bike all the time you would have the dough to get it sorted. 

invest in a hair dryer and get the electrics dried out change the oils and the filters and the spark plug drain the fuel tank and put some fresh stuff in.

Start saving up for a new bike.:ph34r:  

Find it difficult to read the diagnosis and understand what “chase the water” means. 

Anyway, I dropped my 2007 4RT in the water and it wouldn’t start. At the trial I tried draining out the air box etc. Soon as I got it home I took off the throttle body and tank and blew out everything including the electrics. I put in new petrol but it still wouldn’t start, only a very weak spark. 

Eventually I took the ignition case off which had a few drops of water. I was a bit surprised because the oil was crystal clear when I drained. I figured that because I’d not run it the oil might not have mixed with the water so it wasn’t creamy white. 

When I put in new oil it started after a couple of reset kicks.

Surprised me that just a bit of water in the ignition would stop the bike starting, but as @jimmyl said the Montesa is very clever.

• Like 1