2 stroke VS 4?????

wyoelkslayer

2 hours ago, section swept said:

Not really fair on Honda as this was a weedy engine for quite a heavy bike. Hence the many mods made to them to make them competitive.?

I have been here before,  and some what shouted down.... whatever you did back in the day did little to make them competitive, in my view.  The Sammy Miller spares, new parts brochure of the day was littered with mods and add on's , but it was better to bite the bullet and buy a TY 175... as we did. I don t wish to open up any heated discussions, on how good or bad the Honda was, merely my opinion at the time, as it is well imprinted in my early  trialing history. Apart from an Ariel I have always had twostrokes over the last and continued forty years of riding..

of  how bloody useless it was  and the fact nowadays you hardly ever see one passed a begins card. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, metisse said:

I have been here before,  and some what shouted down.... whatever you did back in the day did little to make them competitive, in my view.  The Sammy Miller spares, new parts brochure of the day was littered with mods and add on's , but it was better to bite the bullet and buy a TY 175... as we did. I don t wish to open up any heated discussions, on how good or bad the Honda was, merely my opinion at the time, as it is well imprinted in my early  trialing history. Apart from an Ariel I have always had twostrokes over the last and continued forty years of riding..

of  how bloody useless it was  and the fact nowadays you hardly ever see one passed a begins card. 

TY175 under rated and overlooked by many, an excellent machine for the beginner or clubman upwards. Used to sell quite a few of these and the TY 125 which was also a good bike. A Majesty frame kit and 200cc conversion made them even better. ?? 

8 hours ago, wyoelkslayer said:

What do you mean? if its jetted right for the elevation im riding wont it run full power? i ride at 6500-8500 feet so im sure ill have to re jet for our elevation. 

Blimey what type of parachute do you carry? You are clear for landing, use runway Echo 5 winds North Easterly watch out for powered hang glider club members using grass area.

Edited by section swept
Spell checker messing with my typing.

8 hours ago, wyoelkslayer said:

What do you mean? if its jetted right for the elevation im riding wont it run full power? i ride at 6500-8500 feet so im sure ill have to re jet for our elevation. 

Blindly what type of parachute do you carry? You are clear for landing, use runway Echo 5 winds North Easterly watch out for powered hang glider club members using grass area.

I'd like to follow this... on the KTM Forum this is a bring the popcorn type thread.... but new to trials so genuinely interested.  Offroad wide open stuff and sand/desert four stroke is preferred, enduro/woods most prefer two stroke... trials if both are tuned to run like a tug boat engine, is it as noticeable and more preference? 

The higher rev ceiling would make for easier climbing but you cant beat the light feel of a 2T.  My mrs has 525XC KTM ATV and it devours big steep dunes in a way that even my 300 EXC cant match, 4T easy to jump on and go fast in the dunes... but where's fun in not hitting the power band and drifing it a bit?

19 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Can't seem to find just the tube but I know you can get them.

here is the full assembly.  http://www.trialstoreusa.com/domino-fast-throttle-assembly/

my recommendation is give a shop a call and I bet you could get one ordered up quick.

also noted your in the US if so you can always contact Dennis at http://overlandtrail.biz/. Montesa parts is his business...

Well thats still pretty cheap for the whole assembly I'm gonna look into those 

17 hours ago, section swept said:

Blindly what type of parachute do you carry? You are clear for landing, use runway Echo 5 winds North Easterly watch out for powered hang glider club members using grass area.

Ha yea my house sits at 6600, then when we go on mountain rides specifically in the wyoming range some of the dirt bike trails go to 10,000 feet! thats just the trail riding though, I'm more interested in the trials at my home elevation. Wish the TRS was injected but that would probably add another 2k to the price! 

6 hours ago, miner said:

I'd like to follow this... on the KTM Forum this is a bring the popcorn type thread.... but new to trials so genuinely interested.  Offroad wide open stuff and sand/desert four stroke is preferred, enduro/woods most prefer two stroke... trials if both are tuned to run like a tug boat engine, is it as noticeable and more preference? 

The higher rev ceiling would make for easier climbing but you cant beat the light feel of a 2T.  My mrs has 525XC KTM ATV and it devours big steep dunes in a way that even my 300 EXC cant match, 4T easy to jump on and go fast in the dunes... but where's fun in not hitting the power band and drifing it a bit?

Ive never actually owned a two stroke, all the bikes i grew up riding were the honda xr's and the crf's, we even did all our trail riding with the crf's with some serious clutch work! the only 2 stroke I've ever riding was an old cr 500 and my arms were numb after i got off from the vibration! Id love to try a 2 stroker trials bike in our mountains and see how it performs. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 7:13 PM, wyoelkslayer said:

Ive never actually owned a two stroke, all the bikes i grew up riding were the honda xr's and the crf's, we even did all our trail riding with the crf's with some serious clutch work! the only 2 stroke I've ever riding was an old cr 500 and my arms were numb after i got off from the vibration! Id love to try a 2 stroker trials bike in our mountains and see how it performs. 

It's like they say.... once you go there, you wont come back.... :D