Which bike

David Gillan

Hi all, I currently own a montesa 315r, I believe to be a 99 bike. The bike is great and I have no issues. I use it to ride in Clubman B, but I have decided its time to treat myself as I want to get more serious into trials. I'm still along way off from being able to ride as spectacular as some so I'm looking for a good bike to see me through the next 2 or 3 years. I have had beta, sherico and this montesa, but they have all been second hand etc and I had all sorts of issues with the sherico, but I have no idea what there are like new. Any suggestions or preferences as to what would suit me.  Ps don't know if it helps but I'm about 5"10 and stocky build (not fat), I weigh about 15 stone, (OK a little fat, but I'm working on it).

5 minutes ago, David Gillan said:

Hi all, I currently own a montesa 315r, I believe to be a 99 bike. The bike is great and I have no issues. I use it to ride in Clubman B, but I have decided its time to treat myself as I want to get more serious into trials. I'm still along way off from being able to ride as spectacular as some so I'm looking for a good bike to see me through the next 2 or 3 years. I have had beta, sherico and this montesa, but they have all been second hand etc and I had all sorts of issues with the sherico, but I have no idea what there are like new. Any suggestions or preferences as to what would suit me.  Ps don't know if it helps but I'm about 5"10 and stocky build (not fat), I weigh about 15 stone, (OK a little fat, but I'm working on it).

That’s muscle waiting to be developed, proof is evident when you see a 30 stone bloke walking ( I use this term advisedly) down the street. Think of the power yet for you to release, bit like a tune up.?? Blimey, just realised that I’m in this category all shape and no substance??

• 3 weeks later...

I started on an old scorpa Sy but my first bike was a 250 beta. It’s been good to me the majority of the time and it’s very slow at the bottom end of 1st and second which  is good for beginners. 

Switching to gas gas for the better suspension/ lighter feel. Truth is they are all pretty good and all have there quirks just go with the one you fancy as you can set everything up to your liking after. You won’t get a good idea if you like it on a test ride imo too short you need a whole day or even few days on one