Clubfoot verse Banana Muffler.

fourex

I'm re-building a '76 model 183 Sherpa T 350 that has the bigger "clubfoot" shaped muffler which I was thinking of replacing with an earlier style "banana" style muffler, is this a good or bad idea?

Obviously Bultaco put a lot of R & D into those clubfoot's with all those internal chambers and such but, I prefer the aesthetics of the banana muffler as well as it being about 1 kg lighter than the clubfoot (according to inmotion website), but am curious how it effects performance and is it possibly too loud.

Anyone experimented with the two on a Sherpa T 350?

• Like 1

Yes I know, but that is what the pair of them are commonly known as, I might alter the subject heading.

Don't think I can now that I've tried, unfortunately the main page doesn't tell you that it's a "Bultaco" question.

Edited by fourex
  • Like 2

I have both original Bultaco silencers at home, the bigger one is definitely quieter and feels as though there is more low end power with this unit. The slimline "banana" silencer sounds good but the performance is less on a 325 Sherpa. Bye, Peter B.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, fourex said:

Yes I know, but that is what the pair of them are commonly known as, I might alter the subject heading.

Don't think I can now that I've tried, unfortunately the main page doesn't tell you that it's a "Bultaco" question.

No don't, it's what got my attention. 

9 hours ago, fourex said:

no, definitely not! It's perfect!

I can remember reading a post on here ages ago that said that the Banana silencer made more power and it is a lot lighter. The new WES clubfoot ones are getting very good reviews though. Or just chop your clubfoot open and change the internals to match another post in here somewhere. Good luck Rod!

• Like 2

On 17/02/2018 at 6:48 AM, sirdabalot said:

I haven't got a clue but you get my vote for daftest subject title. 

Well my Sherpa came with a banana ( not battered or bruised) but I suspect that the club foot is better performance wise as Bultaco progressed to that style.  The system with the largest volume is usually better.

8 hours ago, section swept said:

Well my Sherpa came with a banana ( not battered or bruised) but I suspect that the club foot is better performance wise as Bultaco progressed to that style.  The system with the largest volume is usually better.

At the time they developed the bigfoot, there was a big push to make dirt bikes quieter and it wasn't just Bultaco who developed quiet exhaust systems.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Agreed. Ive changed mine to straight through club foot as hate the look of the wes.

Vazquez changes the clubfoot internals too so it cant be good

What did Jose ever do to you ?

Albert Camus — 'People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves.'

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

I don't think the Banana style exhaust is better then the clubfoot style and to me there are two reason.

The first is very obvious the clubfoot offers better sound reduction so is quiter.

The second is obvious too, the clubfoot offers more througput or flow rate as the diameter of the two tubes are bigger then the one at the banana type.

Second the Clubfoot offers more general back pressure in the exhaust system through the mace of voids, tubes and "windows" which allows a mild rear loading effect to the charge of air gasoline mixture which was pushed out of the cylinder.

The Banana style exhaust was an interims solution and invented after the tobacco pouch style rear muffler which did not show any good effect.

• Like 1