Tech fork on 2013 GG

drca

My zooch is getting pretty beat up (bent sliders, several nicks in the sliders, starting to leak oil...).  So I can either keep fixing it (which range to fill in the nicks in the sliders with the usual mail polish trick and replace the oil seals to getting new sliders), but I found a tech fork for a reasonable price.  So I am wondering what would it take to put that tech on my GG.  Here is my list of questions:

• Tech is 39mm, Zoock is 40mm, but I know there are adapters
  • Front brake (tech are usually using the braketech setup, mine has the older AJP (?)  Will that fit in?
  • Wheel axle - Will the stock GG axle fit?  
  • Wheel spacers (that I can probably get made or buy)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

Wheel is the same but you need to change the bearings and probably the bearing spacer.

Brake caliper wil bolt to the fork ok but not sure if you need a spacer ? The tech fork leg may have a shoulder like the marzocchi , it does in a TRS. 

I don't like the sound of fitting spacers to the triple clamp for 39mm forks ?

10 hours ago, wakka said:

I made up spacers for myTech forks works fine made from free machining alloy 

Made up wheel spacers  and the centre spacer + Tech axle as well got the right bearings its mint to ride

so happy I did the change 

Thanks!  Here is what I understand:

Wheel bearing

The Tech Fork has a 20mm axle vs the 25mm on the Gas Gas. So I need to drop in some 6004 bearings in the Gas Gas wheel.

Bearing spacer

I need a new bearing spacer with an OD / ID that will match the 6004 bearings

Wheel Axle

I'll need a Tech Axle

Fork clamps

I'll need adapters to go 40mm to 39mm for the top and bottom clamp (4 of them - I think I saw these somewhere online...)

Wheel spacer

Not sure if I'll need any spacer to set the wheel centered in for fork and to align the brake disc with the brake caliper.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, benbeta23 said:

If the bearings for the Marzocchi now are the 6905 you won't be able to simply swap them for 6004 as the 6905 are 9mm in width opposed to the 12mm for 6004, So you'll need a 20mm ID bearing with a 9mm width also

Yep,  98204Y will work tho (20x42x9).

This is getting way too complicated tho... (and expensive!)  :angry:

9 hours ago, drca said:

Yep,  98204Y will work tho (20x42x9).

This is getting way too complicated tho... (and expensive!)  :angry:

Does the 98204Y have rubber shields? I'd make sure beforehand, I had same problem on mine with a tech conversion, Used same 20x42x9, either that or change the hub! SKF produce them with rubber shields but there not cheap!