199B Sherpa Triple Clamps

fourex

Does anyone know if some markets possibly got 199B's with top triple clamps without pinch bolts, IE: taper fit.

I've seen some conflicting photos, some with pinch bolts and some without. Also some appear with amal carbs and others with bings?

Was it possibly Bultaco throwing anything on them before they shut the door? 

• Like 1

Doubt that you’ll like taper top yoke as you will also need tapered fork tubes. Early Bultaco Sherpas had taper top assembly i. e. M80 and M49 but then some of the M80’s had the deeper bottom yoke whilst others had a straight yoke. Chase T Y might have some special triple clamps but not tapered and not cheap either.

I bought a new set of Bultaco betor forks with clamps out of the US a few years ago still in the box they were stamped Bultaco but the same style clamps as SWM / Italjet I guess unclaimed from the broke company

Edited by mrb505
Extra word
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fourex said:

Yes, so it would seem. I wonder whether they were newly developed for the 198/199B or more likely left-overs from the '70's ?

If you want a close look at some to compare them, Robert Gough's 199B has the taper top tubes

• Like 1

Hi David, I'm actually enquiring on Rob's behalf, we're just trying to work out if some left the factory with amals and tapered forks or if some previous owner may have made the changes.

Nearly impossible to know for sure, being so long ago and the state Bultaco were in.

• Like 2

G'day Mark, was that a USA bike and does it have an amal carb ?

Do you know the history of the other bike you sold in OZ, it has pinch bolt top clamps and a bing.

Rob and myself are just trying to get an understanding of which type of 199B's may have been exported to certain countries.

• Like 1

I have had 3 199B’s. All in the USA. All had Bing carbs. 2 had pinch bolts top clamps with the one I currently have having the taper type top clamps. The one I currently have has a frame number in between the other two. It also has screws through the rims as tyre clamps and a lug welded to the frame but not drilled for the late alloy top engine mount. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markg said:

I have had 3 199B’s. All in the USA. All had Bing carbs. 2 had pinch bolts top clamps with the one I currently have having the taper type top clamps. The one I currently have has a frame number in between the other two. It also has screws through the rims as tyre clamps and a lug welded to the frame but not drilled for the late alloy top engine mount. 

ive had 7, all standard fork clamps at top and all bing.

later ones have only one bottom pinch bolts

Yes it was only the last ones that had the tapered top clamps. They were just using what stock they had left in the factory as they had no money to pay for more more stock to use. I have seen some with older hubs as well. A lot of the B`s also had steel torque arms on them as well. Graham. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking the taper topped bike went to places other than the uk as I haven't seen any with taper tops but ive seen a few with allen screws and nuts in the yolks but most with just allen screws and a tapped hole in the other side of the yolk doing away with the need of a nut .Also had one with no pinch bolts in the fork slider on 1 side, most if not all ive had with black steel brake arms   

I have a 199A that has the old style tapered top clamp. The motor and frame numbers don,t match,but they are only off by five numbers so very close off the assembly line.Kinda make me wonder if it was a factory bista bike because of all of the troubles they were having at that time.

• Like 3