Toni Bou Sidelined with 3 Broken Vertebrae

cackallacky

Once it's stabilised enough to not cause him any discomfort whilst riding it won't effect him in any way. 

The thing I find interesting is that over the last 20 years it seems that every form of motorcycle sport has introduced multiple safety improvements either to the bikes themselves or to the riders kit, yet nothing seems to have changed in trials. Not entirely sure what to suggest but would of thought some form of back protection would be easy enough to introduce even if only for the top levels of the sport. 

12 hours ago, smokey125 said:

Once it's stabilised enough to not cause him any discomfort whilst riding it won't effect him in any way. 

The thing I find interesting is that over the last 20 years it seems that every form of motorcycle sport has introduced multiple safety improvements either to the bikes themselves or to the riders kit, yet nothing seems to have changed in trials. Not entirely sure what to suggest but would of thought some form of back protection would be easy enough to introduce even if only for the top levels of the sport. 

I think world trials have introduced some machine changes to make the bikes safer which trickled down to all levels and should really be compulsory. Lanyards,  solid sprockets , the shark fin sprocket guards, disc guards, bar pads and now the new style rear discs.

Nothing has really been introduced for rider protection. I'm almost six foot tall and modern trials boots only go halfway up my shin. Last time I caught the footpeg with my shin it got infected and took weeks to heal. So I've now started riding with mountain bike shin guards inside my riding jeans which I don't really notice. Some trials pants include protection but it doesn't reach the top of the boots. 

Back protector may be a good idea.

15 hours ago, oni nou said:

I never really considered talking about back protectors or body protection in general to be arrogant  but if you say so.

To actively say you don't like wearing protective gear.  While making jumps in a dangerous environment.  When other competitors are taking precautions.  That is foolhardy.

Either section design or lack of protection has to be at fault for this one. While square edge concrete blocks arranged at extremely difficult angles does produce big bike lifts , an accident like this was long overdue. If youre gonna ride sections like that, back protection is a must, or if you know riders have limited protection marking sections with a lot of square hard edges is inadvisable

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oni nou said:

If you watch the video all through you will see that most riders attempt to get up on the the top of the block from a different face that has a more direct approach  than the angled approach Bou  attempts [Bincaz tries the Bou way before Bou does and fails without injury,I would think that Bou saw him fail here].......Those that take the direct approach sees them getting up and out of the section quite easily .........So Bou picked the hard path to prove he was the man and unfortunately that time it back fired on him and he paid the price.

Ive seen this a few times from him, no minder, trying to do the section all on the back wheel, and did notice what you point out. While i suppose we all appreciate his showmanship, I guess the bravado caught up with him a little

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

Especially in these non points indoor events, it's all a show. They know it, and they do their best to give the crowd a good one. I don't think anything caught up to Toni in terms of his bravado doing him in, he was just putting on a show to the best of his ability and crashed. It happens.

• Like 1