Gas Gas pro fuel tank.

frenchy3

Hi everyone,i have just purchased an early Gas Gas TXT pro 2002 and i thought at the time about the tiny amount of fuel that came in the tank. I finally got around to filling it with premix and most of it ended up on the floor. From what i can see there is a crack along the weld at the rear of the tank. I can get the tank purged and Tig welded at work but the question is....do the later tanks up to the tubular frame models fit at all pre 2007? I see there are plastic tanks for the 2011 on bikes but did they ever make one to retrofit to the early bikes please.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by frenchy3

I had a leaking tank on a 2003 pro, bought a newer one off ebay to find that was leaking as well. When I pressurised the tanks and sprayed with soapy water, both were leaking from welds just above the fuel tap. Looked very much like a porous weld. I had one of them rewelded and had no issue after that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eddie1 said:

I had a leaking tank on a 2003 pro, bought a newer one off ebay to find that was leaking as well. When I pressurised the tanks and sprayed with soapy water, both were leaking from welds just above the fuel tap. Looked very much like a porous weld. I had one of them rewelded and had no issue after that.

I filled my tank with a cleaning solvent with some food colouring in it so i could see easily(water has a higher viscosity and will not always show up a leak) There is no obvious crack or hole but it appears the weld near the top of the tank at the back has actually worn away so hopefully our workshop can Tig weld along the seam. I will then glue a strip of rubber instead of that useless draught excluder foam strip Gas Gas use. I will then have a spare tank,all assuming my newer one does not leak as well!

18 hours ago, eddie1 said:

I filled my tank with a cleaning solvent with some food colouring in it so i could see easily(water has a higher viscosity and will not always show up a leak) There is no obvious crack or hole but it appears the weld near the top of the tank at the back has actually worn away so hopefully our workshop can Tig weld along the seam. I will then glue a strip of rubber instead of that useless draught excluder foam strip Gas Gas use. I will then have a spare tank,all assuming my newer one does not leak as well!

I sealed off the tank and used an airline to see where the leak was and used some soapy water. The whole seam on the top of the tank had worn so thin there are a series of pin holes where the fuel can leak from which is why i could not see anything obvious.