CMA. Dead Man Walking?

canadaler

Hey Steve,

A good PR person would be awesome. In the past I would typically just asked Marilynn directly and she has always been very friendly and forthcoming.

This was the last notes we exchanged back in 2016 in relation to CMA supporting international events... Great news if CMA has changed this position.  

To: Michael Traves
Subject: RE: information sharing

That’s fine and never expect to be thanked.     It seldom happens.

Marilynn Bastedo, CEO

Canadian Motorcycle Association

To: 'Marilynn Bastedo'
Subject: RE: information sharing

This is what is currently posted (I have removed the dates and contact info)… please let me know if you are okay with it…

Marilynn agreed that I could share our my conversation with her so as far as supporting TdN goes... 

The CMA has never been able to provide funding for any of our international team projects and there is a policy that stipulates that they can't even if we had the money.

The reasoning behind this (many years ago) was that if funding is available it should first be provided to projects within Canada and which would benefit more of the members.

But on further discussion (as I noted before) if additional funds are raised (outside your $80 CMA Fees) then: ... 

Priorities TAC is looking for funding for.

are -

support for riders to attend the CMA National Championships

support for riders to attend the FIM North America Championships

support for riders attending the Trial des Nations.

I did make an effort to find support for these priorities but people preferred to support local efforts. I will continue to look for support for these priorities although some times it seems a little thankless.

Regards,

Michael

The only dead men walking are you clowns that keep rehashing this stuff year after year! Canada's motorcycle industry is too spread out and too small for anybody in the world to worry about.

You might see a change when you fossils are no longer able to participate and the younger generation takes over. As for the guy that posted #timesupcma, Aren't you the guy that's failed with at least 3 motorcycle importations, screwing up the market further? And you expect us to listen to you?

#giveitup

Edited by evolution
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, evolution said:

The only dead men walking are you clowns that keep rehashing this stuff year after year! Canada's motorcycle industry is too spread out and too small for anybody in the world to worry about.

You might see a change when you fossils are no longer able to participate and the younger generation takes over. As for the guy that posted #timesupcma, Aren't you the guy that's failed with at least 3 motorcycle importations, screwing up the market further? And you expect us to listen to you?

#giveitup

Wow you are seriously out of touch with reality... Steve and I are both way past our prime as far as participating, I will give you that but we are both very passionate about growing the sport for the up and coming younger riders. Both Steve and I are heavily involved in putting on events on different ends of the country. Just last weekend I put on an indoor demo at the local motorcycle show in conjunction with Honda's red rider jr training to encourage more young people to get involved. Guess what the first question I was asked by the show organizer ... "do you have insurance" to which I was able to reply the same I do to the 6 local landowner whos properties we put on trials events at - "Yes we do! $5M in liability to cover the landowner."  - I don't really give a sh!t about what anybody else in the world thinks. I do care that we are able to continue to put on events in our local area and we are making a concerted effort to improve the sport locally, nationally, and our riders are able to compete on the international stage if they so desire.

The past Canadian distributor is a great individual and has been extremely supportive of the sport of trials in Canada - pretty hard to build the sport without access to bikes! You are not truly suggesting OSSA going out of business was in some way the distributors fault are you? The role of distributer in Canada is far from easy - ask anyone that has tried (I know 4 personally and consider them all friends)  I wish somebody would pickup Sherco as a distributor but it is a lot harder than you might think.

Sometimes fossils have a lot of very valuable history to share I wouldn't underestimate them if I where you.

BTW - Exactly what have you done to improve the sport (ever) ???

• 1 month later...

I don't want to fire anyone up here, but the CMA has NEVER actively participated in the growth of Canadian Riders on an International level.

The CMA has lost control over EVERY discipline of Motorcycle racing. Guess why?

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 8:03 PM, michael_t said:

Wow you are seriously out of touch with reality... Steve and I are both way past our prime as far as participating, I will give you that but we are both very passionate about growing the sport for the up and coming younger riders. Both Steve and I are heavily involved in putting on events on different ends of the country. Just last weekend I put on an indoor demo at the local motorcycle show in conjunction with Honda's red rider jr training to encourage more young people to get involved. Guess what the first question I was asked by the show organizer ... "do you have insurance" to which I was able to reply the same I do to the 6 local landowner whos properties we put on trials events at - "Yes we do! $5M in liability to cover the landowner."  - I don't really give a sh!t about what anybody else in the world thinks. I do care that we are able to continue to put on events in our local area and we are making a concerted effort to improve the sport locally, nationally, and our riders are able to compete on the international stage if they so desire.

The past Canadian distributor is a great individual and has been extremely supportive of the sport of trials in Canada - pretty hard to build the sport without access to bikes! You are not truly suggesting OSSA going out of business was in some way the distributors fault are you? The role of distributer in Canada is far from easy - ask anyone that has tried (I know 4 personally and consider them all friends)  I wish somebody would pickup Sherco as a distributor but it is a lot harder than you might think.

Sometimes fossils have a lot of very valuable history to share I wouldn't underestimate them if I where you.

BTW - Exactly what have you done to improve the sport (ever) ???

I havent been on the forums here in quite some time busy with work and lots of preparation behind the scenes with the Canadian Nationals/ FIM-NA Championship that will take place this Sept in Ioco BC. I am devestated to read that I am well past my prime as far as competing is concerned??? Sorry to disappoint Michael lol. Not sure where you got your intel from?

Just thought I would take the time to put this thread to bed so we can all get on with enjoying the sport, and for some of us continue working on bring it together Nationally once and for all.

As some statements on this thread are fact... and some not. It has been well known that for MANY years the MCC group which includes the WEC and so called WTC have been trying to get the FIM affiliation away from the CMA. It was only reported recently that an OFFICIAL application was made to the FIM. I can now tell you that this application has been rejected! 

Now lets get on with things. Not everyone cares to start with. But some of us do and have been trying to do things the right way. There are some very good people involved who have cared about the sport and will continue to. Happy riding!

• 5 years later...

CMA is nothing more than an event insurance broker that periodically records the event results that somebody else built and participated in.  If that's all you ever expect from them then you won't be disappointed.  

• 7 months later...

CMA rule book for 2024 is online now: https://www.motorcyclingcanada.ca/rule-book-2

As an event host I have some issues with the new rules so I'm sure other will too. 

... still trying to interpret this part: " Front number plates are required for all National Championship Rounds. They may conform in size and shape to the outline provided by the fork tubes and yokes. Numbers are not required."  🤔 

Edited by lemur
append

7 hours ago, lemur said:

CMA rule book for 2024 is online now: https://www.motorcyclingcanada.ca/rule-book-2

As an event host I have some issues with the new rules so I'm sure other will too. 

... still trying to interpret this part: " Front number plates are required for all National Championship Rounds. They may conform in size and shape to the outline provided by the fork tubes and yokes. Numbers are not required."  🤔 

It could be better worded, but not as ambiguous as you think.  Other than the previous season's class champion having the option to run number 1 on their plate, no rider numbers are assigned or required. The plate must have the correct colour background, and class designation. NATC/AMA supplementary rules for USA Nationals are similar, but also require rider name and State of residence.

Yes calling it a number plate, when no number is required.... seems odd.  Number plate or number board is the generally used name for this on a trials bike. Maybe class plate would be a better term in this case?

• Like 1

Good, now somebody can explain what class I should ride in this year and what colour arrows I should be using because Black arrows is not going to cut it.  CMA show 13 rider classes that will require a minimum of 3 riders per class for any event results to count, which would be fine if the average CMA trial could draw 80 riders but reality is that half that number of riders would be a significant improvement in turnout.  Four separate Veteran classes 🤨 seriously! plus a Women class 🤔 so now we have a class for every age, gender and ability imaginable.  This rule book was definitely written by somebody not in touch with reality, we (the people that actually put on CMA national events) adopted NATC arrow schema years ago, the rule book still refers to red on right and blue on left.

• Riding Lines
  • – Championship                                  – Black
  • – Trial 1                                                 – Red
  • – Trial 2, Women, Veteran 2                – White
  • – Trial 3, Veteran 3, Modern Classic   – Green
  • – Trial 4, Veteran 4, Vintage                – Purple
  • – Trial 5, Veteran 5                               – Yellow

•  - Championship – Black
  •         - Trial 1 – Red
  •         - Trial 2, Women, Veteran 2 – White
  •         - Trial 3, Veteran 3, Modern Classic – Green
  •         - Trial 4, Veteran 4, Vintage – Purple
  •         - Trial 5, Veteran 5 – Yellow
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:00 AM, lemur said:

Good, now somebody can explain what class I should ride in this year and what colour arrows I should be using because Black arrows is not going to cut it.  CMA show 13 rider classes that will require a minimum of 3 riders per class for any event results to count, which would be fine if the average CMA trial could draw 80 riders but reality is that half that number of riders would be a significant improvement in turnout.  Four separate Veteran classes 🤨 seriously! plus a Women class 🤔 so now we have a class for every age, gender and ability imaginable.  This rule book was definitely written by somebody not in touch with reality, we (the people that actually put on CMA national events) adopted NATC arrow schema years ago, the rule book still refers to red on right and blue on left.

• Riding Lines
  • – Championship                                  – Black
  • – Trial 1                                                 – Red
  • – Trial 2, Women, Veteran 2                – White
  • – Trial 3, Veteran 3, Modern Classic   – Green
  • – Trial 4, Veteran 4, Vintage                – Purple
  • – Trial 5, Veteran 5                               – Yellow

•  - Championship – Black
  •         - Trial 1 – Red
  •         - Trial 2, Women, Veteran 2 – White
  •         - Trial 3, Veteran 3, Modern Classic – Green
  •         - Trial 4, Veteran 4, Vintage – Purple
  •         - Trial 5, Veteran 5 – Yellow

We went to the NATC crap like 12 years ago. Red on the right and blue on the left is way better than NOT being able to see the ribbon when it snows or hails. We are in New Mexico, but ride high elevation in the summer. Any of our events all year long can be in snow!!! White ribbon is for idiots! We finally went back to red and blue a few years back. Now if you like orange go for it. But when you are in a section and you have red on the right, you might just be going in the right direction.

Now the NATC needs to get the back up rule fixed before April!!!

On 2/10/2024 at 7:23 PM, lineaway said:

We went to the NATC crap like 12 years ago. Red on the right and blue on the left is way better than NOT being able to see the ribbon when it snows or hails. We are in New Mexico, but ride high elevation in the summer. Any of our events all year long can be in snow!!! White ribbon is for idiots! We finally went back to red and blue a few years back. Now if you like orange go for it. But when you are in a section and you have red on the right, you might just be going in the right direction.

Now the NATC needs to get the back up rule fixed before April!!!

Never could care about the colour of the perimeter tape, that is usually sponsor branded tape and might be in any colour depending on who donated, it's the gate arrows that we adopted from NATC except for adherence to the actual arrow colour scheme.  NATC says: "Gate arrows must be Black for Pro, Red for Expert, Blue for Expert Sportsman, White-with-black background for Support and green-with-white background for Clubman."  imo Rule books should stay away from assigning the colour of gate arrows unless they are the same as the number plate of the rider going through them, that is the only format that is sensible for the observers.  Example: if the rider has a yellow plate (or bib) they ride through the yellow gates, couldn't be easier.

As an event hoist and builder I can easy obtain or already have ample quantities of coroplast for gate arrows in white, red, blue, green & yellow.  Nobody likes green because you can't see it in the woods and black arrows will share the same popularity unless the black is on a contrasting white background.  If I get lost in a section because the perimeter tape is a wrong colour 😕 I would be more concerned about my short term memory loss and gates should consist of 2 arrows pointing towards each other in pairs, not one arrow and the perimeter tape.

... and ya, CMA also doesn't stay up on TdN rules, our new rule book says time limits are suggested and backing up is a 5, but if you have a section time limit and the sections are set out so you don't need to back-up, who really cares!  Sanctioning bodies should stay clear of making such specific rules on course setup and course markers should be left to the event builders unless it is to follow a sensible paradigm.  CMA is jeopardizing their involvement in local club trials if they keep making rules that do nothing but complicate the hosting and marshalling of events, the organizers are going to insure their events through other options and imply rules that make sense for their own events and that is exactly what has been happening here in recent years.

What works for marking sections out in a desert does not equate to marking sections out deep in the dark forrest, that's why the venue should have some latitude over the section setup and materials used to mark the course, colour arrow gates has simplified setup for the builder and made it possible to reuse the markers.  We have used colour arrow gates for a long time here now and it has been well received by the riders and checkers.  Our NATC like format was applied by request of our champion class riders and we try to follow the rules our riders will need to be familiar with when they participate in a TdN, that's how I have tried to do it and profits from our competition events (small if at all) go to the Canadian TdN team effort.

Some actually think that CMA plans or in some way contributes positively to the motorcycle Trials competition events they collect money from and to that I would just like to say 🤣

• Like 1