CMA. Dead Man Walking?

canadaler

9 hours ago, lineaway said:

Have you never ridden a NATC National? All the gates are white back ground with colored arrows. How can you not see them!!!

You're not getting it, have you never seen coloured Coroplast?  It's solid colour corrugated plastic that is easy and cheaply cut into the shape of an arrow that can be used and reused for many events.  We used white sheets of printed plastic with red & blue arrows and letters A-E printed under them for the classes for years and they were not near as visible and not as reusable.  The plastic arrows can be stapled to a tree or stake or affixed to a rock face with a small amount of latex calking.  It's a sustainable marker system.and it works.

Now I get it. I forgot you basically run your own club. Go forward with what is working for you. Our local club has never followed the NATC  as far as marking our local events. We keep it real simple. Yellow paper with black arrows for section splits and two colored ribbon for loop markers. Marking a National for the NATC is crazy amount of work in comparison. Hundreds of stakes are needed.  Just from a safety stand point. Stakes should never be used. Let alone having to ride around a loop with a back pack full of them. I miss the old days of just having flags just stuck in my boots!

By the way we don`t just ride desert. Half of the year we ride in the mountains. We have been lucky enough to use several ski area`s over the years. Which the main ski lodge makes a great place for the pits to be run from. Good luck with your section building.

11 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Now I get it. I forgot you basically run your own club....

Bingo 👍  I build a national event when nobody else steps up to do one.   Somebody has already stepped up for 2024 but if that event fails to materialize I will host one.  

Marking a National for the NATC is crazy amount of work in comparison. Hundreds of stakes are needed. "

Perfect example of why the venue should have some latitude over the marking schema, I don't use hundreds of wood stakes because I have millions of trees.   

Paper markers 👎 adds a printing cost, paper curls up and markers become unusable before the event even starts, totally useless in the rain, never reusable and impossible to recover without leaving staples stuck in the live trees.  

Perimeter tape is rarely used to pinch in a section here, we don't need to do that, perimeter tape is kept well back where riders are unlikely to tangle with it, why; because I have yet to see a rider dismount to fix a perimeter tape or replace a section marker after they displaced it. 

• 4 weeks later...
It's been a while but glad I checked in here today.

I should probably start a new thread as the rule changes were not driven by the CMA. In Canada there is currently an Initiative to have all of the clubs work together to support all Trials riders and enthusiast. We are independently trying to do what we can to work with all 20 Trials clubs across the country, all Canadian importers, Moto Canada, CMA, and FIM. I applied for funding from the FIM to support this effort in 2021 and it was approved in 2022 it is scheduled to run out this year. I have posted weekly updates to the list of entities above as well as to the Canadian Trials Initiatives facebook page.

The rule changes are part of this effort and were shared with all of the clubs for input as part of the process. The main people involved in the effort were well known Canadian trials riders and enthusiast Jonathan English, Christy Williams Richards, Derek Thomas and a not so well known Michael Traves (that's me). The idea for the rules was to adapt the NATC rules for the most part, Christy and I sit on the NATC rule committee and the feeling was to work towards one standard set of rules for all of North America (and adopting the NATC rules was a good starting place as we help set them). We saw a number of benefits to this, as people travel to events outside their local club and as top riders ride at NATC events it would be helpful to have standard rules followed. I also believe it will help legitimize the sport (with government agencies) if we all followed the same rules. We are also looking to get the FIM NA Championship back up and running with one event from the NATC schedule and our Nationals counting towards the NA championship so having the same rules will also be helpful for that series. I sat in on a NATC/AMA meeting this week and there is a lot of interest from them and the FIM to make this series happen this year. 

I will note that the new rules do go beyond just or Nationals and suggest that local clubs can adapt for things such as gate trials and self checking (I know lineway doesn't think that is a "real" trial). I did send an offer to all the clubs to provide new markers to help with the adoption of new colours but it seems most clubs are not ready to switch this year. We will also reviewing these rules every year. 

I have probably opened a can of worms by posting - and my views can be seen on this thread from 7 years ago... I still feel the same today (as I did then) - we all need to be working together to grow our sport. I am happy to stand behind my actions because I truly felt (and still do) we have to put more effort into working together than complaining and knocking peoples efforts for doing so.

Respectfully,

Michael T.

How far west am I going to need to travel if I want to participate in this years CMA National Trial?

I built 2 nice new sections in preparation for a proposed 2025 National this week 😎 they just need to be trashed in and tested for their level of awesomeness.

Saskatchewan would be nice if it's not in flood or fly season, even nicer if enough riders participate to have the minimum 3 riders per class 😐

Edited by lemur
add

lineaway is right self or partner checking does not work.  As a club our plan is to host our annual Invitational Extreme Enduro to financially support our Trials events, hopefully the combined sports will provide the pool of checkers and support staff for each others event.  Basically if the Enduro riders want to ride our awesome event they are going to be expected to work and or contribute to the Trials event, it's the only solution we could come up with that might even work going forward, should increase fun and improve safety for all.  

CMA National date and venue for 2024 sure would be nice to know when and where so people can plan holiday and travel time 😐 Is it Derek up to bat ?  

3 hours ago, michael_t said:

There has been a fair bit of back and forth. Hoping to have it settled this week. Best guess at this point is BC Oct 5-6, 2024, Sask 2025... East 2026

And who exactly is doing this back and forth?  

13 hours ago, michael_t said:

BC and Sask haven't talked to anybody about 2026 as of yet.

Would be nice if y'all get on with a decision so I know if I need to build a trial this year or plan to travel a few thousand km.  If nobody steps up to host a National this year I would host one, but the longer y'all leave it the less time we have to make it happen, that's not helpful.

@michael_t  from Nova Scotia 🤔  possibly even a dealer of blue bikes?  hey did you ride at my place decades ago, you need to come back for another ride, we opened up a lot more area from what you would remember.