2011 st250 yellow wire testing

SquamishDroc

Hi guys - new member and first post here:D

I have a 2011 st250 and the cooling fan doesn't work. I have tested the yellow wire out of the stator for ac voltage. I get .5 volts or so on this wire with the engine running at idle. If I disconnect the regulator from the yellow wire I will get about 10 volts with the engine running at idle. I bought a new regulator thinking it was faulty - plugged it in today and no change to the voltage on the yellow wire - still only .5 volts or so at idle. Is my stator faulty? Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, SquamishDroc said:

Hi guys - new member and first post here:D

I have a 2011 st250 and the cooling fan doesn't work. I have tested the yellow wire out of the stator for ac voltage. I get .5 volts or so on this wire with the engine running at idle. If I disconnect the regulator from the yellow wire I will get about 10 volts with the engine running at idle. I bought a new regulator thinking it was faulty - plugged it in today and no change to the voltage on the yellow wire - still only .5 volts or so at idle. Is my stator faulty? Any help would be appreciated.

not a typical fault for the stator. there should also be r rectifier in that circuit to correct the voltage for the dc fan motor operation. it may also take voltage down if faulty. disconnect it and your ac voltage may jump up.

14 hours ago, copemech said:

not a typical fault for the stator. there should also be r rectifier in that circuit to correct the voltage for the dc fan motor operation. it may also take voltage down if faulty. disconnect it and your ac voltage may jump up.

Ran the bike today without the rectifier hooked up - no change - still only .5 volts ac at idle.

Well its just a coil of wire with m magnet passing ofer it. Check the resistance to chassis earth and engine earth, I do not have a spec for you, although Splatshop may, or Steve at motoplat uk.  inspect for shorts to earth of the wireing to stator, you may well have to remove it anyway for a rewind if needed.

is this a Hydria or Leonelli?

50 minutes ago, copemech said:

Well its just a coil of wire with m magnet passing ofer it. Check the resistance to chassis earth and engine earth, I do not have a spec for you, although Splatshop may, or Steve at motoplat uk.  inspect for shorts to earth of the wireing to stator, you may well have to remove it anyway for a rewind if needed.

is this a Hydria or Leonelli?

Leonelli - I will see if I can find some resistance specs - thanks for your help.

Did some resistance tests and found the yellow wire open circuit. So I borrowed a flywheel puller from a friend and pulled it off today. Low and behold I found the problem. Looks like at some point part of the stator broke off. The broken part was not in the case so I assume the previous owner must have removed it. Then the coil wires must have slowly rubber through on the flywheel. I am going to try and repair it myself, but if that doesn't work then I guess a new stator will be needed.

20180225_152232.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 9:55 PM, copemech said:

I think you found the problem then, great job!

Just goes to show you never know! ;)

Got my parts yesterday - wrong part in the right box:huh: Wasn't impressed that's for sure. The worst part is that the stator I got had been installed. It had witness marks from it being bolted down and dirt on the grommet where it goes through the case. Contacted the vendor today and he is taking it back and refunding my $$ - problem is he doesn't have another one. So I either order from RYP and get hosed on duties or wait for my local dealer to get one from Italy or wherever they come from. 

20180308_173337.jpg

20180308_125411.jpg