TRS 125 riding impressions?

neils on wheels

When TRS announced their 125, it was reported to have a power valve fitted to the engine.

Has anyone on here had experience of riding one yet? I'm intrigued to know if TRS have managed to produce an engine that is more flexible than a typical 125, or if it has turned out to be too sharp for trials use?

TRS USA just posted that first 125's are shipped to USA.  '18 production models will not have the power valve. Only a limited number of Factory supported 125's in competition, will have the PV engine. They want to test it and refine the mapping for the engine before releasing it. 

19 hours ago, nhuskys said:

TRS USA just posted that first 125's are shipped to USA.  '18 production models will not have the power valve. Only a limited number of Factory supported 125's in competition, will have the PV engine. They want to test it and refine the mapping for the engine before releasing it. 

That's interesting. Maybe they haven't been able to develop is as quickly as they thought they would. Still, I think its preferable that they develop the technology on factory bikes, rather than customer bikes.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, anachronism said:

Bump: Anyone attend this event?

I was there and rode both versions of the 125, as well as the 250.  It must be eight years since I last had a shot on a 125 (a Sherco) and I owned a 200 Beta up until a couple of years ago.  In that context there is a lot more bottom end on the latest 125s compared to that Sherco and, obviously, less crankshaft/flywheel inertia than the 200.  I was able to ride the 125 in my old fashioned style without resort to any more use of the clutch than my 4RT (but used for very tight turns as normal) at just under 12 stone in my day clothes and it fairly flew up the bankings.

I was impressed with the ability to use second and third gears.  Dry going but it felt like grip would not be a problem in the wet.

The two models have different carburetors and suspension and did feel slightly different but the Raga had seen some use whilst the One was fresh out the box really so how much of that was down to specification differences and how much to the One being not yet loosened off and carburetion settled I can't say.

I was forced to get a 125 when Fantic stopped the 200 and never really got on so well with the 125.  Compared to the 200 Beta, I'd have a 125 TRS quite happily but qualify that by saying I did not get a chance to cross any moors so don't know how it would maintain speed with me on it, and I do enjoy a blast over the hill.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I rode the 125 at Trials Training Days in Tennessee recently and I am enamored.  I'm in my early 60's and have been riding trials for several years on a ty175.  I've ridden several other modern bikes and this is the only one I've ridden this I can see owning. I found the engine to be torquey, with considerably more power than my Yamaha. It's a surprisingly easy bike to ride. I overheard one expert rider make similar comments in his assessment.  For me, it is likely more bike than I'll need for the trials skills I'll develop in this lifetime. :-)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hdscarbro said:

I rode the 125 at Trials Training Days in Tennessee recently and I am enamored.  I'm in my early 60's and have been riding trials for several years on a ty175.  I've ridden several other modern bikes and this is the only one I've ridden this I can see owning. I found the engine to be torquey, with considerably more power than my Yamaha. It's a surprisingly easy bike to ride. I overheard one expert rider make similar comments in his assessment.  For me, it is likely more bike than I'll need for the trials skills I'll develop in this lifetime. :-)

I'm right in the same age range and and been riding trials for 2 years. I have owned newer Gas Gas and Scorpa 125's.  The newest generation of 125's will do just about anything an aged Novice/Intermediate rider needs to do and I imagine the TRS 125 is right there with them.  I had a Yamaha TY175 which is an awesome bike, but a new 125 is so much easier to ride and I sold the TY to concentrate on riding modern trials.  I hope to get a ride on a TRS 125 sometime, but my local TRS dealer doesn't plan on having one this season.  My '18 Scorpa 125 Factory is everything I want and need right now anyway!  Go buy one, you won't regret it!

• Like 1

My son now rides a TRS 125RR. We've had the bike for a couple of months now and we are quite delighted with it.

It was quite a decision having only had betas since we started trials.

Yes the power valve will be an addition for next year, but the motor is still very good without it.

The methodology with TRS is that components / changes / design needs to be 100% before they release and I think this is the correct way.

He rides at expert level so the bike is more than capable, and comes very well spec'd which was a big appeal for us.

The machine is very well designed and well thought out prior to release, this makes the bike very easy to work on for routine maintainence.

So far so good:)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, nhuskys said:

I'm right in the same age range and and been riding trials for 2 years. I have owned newer Gas Gas and Scorpa 125's.  The newest generation of 125's will do just about anything an aged Novice/Intermediate rider needs to do and I imagine the TRS 125 is right there with them.  I had a Yamaha TY175 which is an awesome bike, but a new 125 is so much easier to ride and I sold the TY to concentrate on riding modern trials.  I hope to get a ride on a TRS 125 sometime, but my local TRS dealer doesn't plan on having one this season.  My '18 Scorpa 125 Factory is everything I want and need right now anyway!  Go buy one, you won't regret it!

I ordered a TRS 125 yesterday and should have it in a week or so. I see you're in NY, I'm in MA.  If we cross paths, you can try mine.

Are you planning to attend any of the New England Trials Association events this season?  There's a couple in NY (Hoosick & Northville).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hdscarbro said:

I ordered a TRS 125 yesterday and should have it in a week or so. I see you're in NY, I'm in MA.  If we cross paths, you can try mine.

Are you planning to attend any of the New England Trials Association events this season?  There's a couple in NY (Hoosick & Northville).

Thank you for the offer!  I don't think I'll make those this year.  Are you going back next year to TTC for Trials Training Days?  I'm planning on next year.

I forgot to add...  Congratulations on the new bike and enjoy!

Edited by nhuskys

11 hours ago, nhuskys said:

Thank you for the offer!  I don't think I'll make those this year.  Are you going back next year to TTC for Trials Training Days?  I'm planning on next year.

I forgot to add...  Congratulations on the new bike and enjoy!

I hope to.  Parked next to a group of guys from upstate NY.  It's an incredible place to ride.  Well worth planning to stay for an extra day or two.

2 hours ago, anachronism said:

@hdscarbro: Did you order the RR or the ONE? Either way, please post your review here once you get it dirty.

The 125 exists only as the "ONE RR" model.  It's my understanding there is not currently a 125cc ONE (base) model.  http://www.trsmotosusa.com/2018_one_125cc.html

Edited by hdscarbro