Evo 300 4T fuel issue

markbxr400

Relatively new to me 2016 EVO 300 4T.  Out riding yesterday, bike was running fine.  Wheelied to a stop in the fork of the tree, and parked the bike in a wheelie position for a few minutes while I did some trail maintenance.  Pulled the bike out of the tree, and couldn't start it.  Assumed I had flooded or starved it.  Finally, after about 50 kicks, got it started.  It ran for a minute then died.  Repeated, got it started again.  It would run at a slow throttle pace, but would bog when I added more throttle.  Thinking I ended up with some trash somewhere in the fuel system.  Before I pull apart the carb, I thought I should determine whether this bike has a fuel filter.  Pulled the parts fiche which shows one in the fuel line between the petcock and carb.  Doesn't exist on my bike.  Is there a fuel filter on this bike, for instance, inside the tank or somewhere else?

Thanks for any help.

Here's what the fiche shows (#10, which isn't present on my bike):

beta filter.jpg

Edited by markbxr400

Item 8 is the fuel solenoid valve, it's held to the fuel tank/frame with a banjo bolt. That banjo bolt should have a nylon screen screwed into the end of it to filter the gasoline. On the side of the solenoid valve is a small lever that will rotate. One position is "Automatic" the other is "Manual", which is the bypass position. "Auto uses electricity from the bike's 12 Volt system to open the solenoid valve, which is only generated while the engine is running. If you need to open the fuel supply with a dead engine, use the "Manual" position. For example, when the bike is dropped and the engine has quit, all the gas may drain from the float bowl. On my 2009 "Auto" is up, "Manual" is down. Check your Owner's Manual for your year to be sure.  Cheers.

I have a 2013 300 4T and it does have the in-line filter you refer to.  If it stalls or falls over in a section it is more difficult to start and I often resort to "manual" (lever down) on the fuel solenoid.

Having said that once it starts up it runs fine.

As your bike runs at low throttle it may be that its starved of fuel.  Try running it with the fuel tap open (lever down) and the petrol cap removed, just to check the tank breather is not blocked.

After that suspect you will need to remove and clean the carb.

12 hours ago, markbxr400 said:

Relatively new to me 2016 EVO 300 4T.  Out riding yesterday, bike was running fine.  Wheelied to a stop in the fork of the tree, and parked the bike in a wheelie position for a few minutes while I did some trail maintenance.  Pulled the bike out of the tree, and couldn't start it.  Assumed I had flooded or starved it.  Finally, after about 50 kicks, got it started.  It ran for a minute then died.  Repeated, got it started again.  It would run at a slow throttle pace, but would bog when I added more throttle.  Thinking I ended up with some trash somewhere in the fuel system.  Before I pull apart the carb, I thought I should determine whether this bike has a fuel filter.  Pulled the parts fiche which shows one in the fuel line between the petcock and carb.  Doesn't exist on my bike.  Is there a fuel filter on this bike, for instance, inside the tank or somewhere else?

Thanks for any help.

Here's what the fiche shows (#10, which isn't present on my bike):

beta filter.jpg

You haven’t flooded the air filter element with fuel or engine oil from the breather, this will certainly cause the issues you have. Sediment may also have blocked the carb idle jet. Next time, unless you’re doing a Dougie Lampkin and wheeling round the Isle of Man park your bike on the side stand etc?

Thanks all.  I understand the fuel solenoid, and tried it in manual (always open).  Didn't think about the vent line being plugged - that could be it.  Or the air filter being saturated, or a bad plug.   Or maybe needing to drain the float bowl.  Will give all these a shot and see if I can get it running somewhat.  

I do notice a lot of decel pop and flameouts, so I know its also running lean.  I bought my bike from a fellow rider in Colorado Springs that had it set up for 10,000 feet + (jets and spring).  I'm at sea level.  Spoke with Ron at RL Racing today.  He's sending me some jets, and I'll start tearing into the carb and checking for trash in the jets when I receive these.

7 hours ago, markbxr400 said:

Thanks all.  I understand the fuel solenoid, and tried it in manual (always open).  Didn't think about the vent line being plugged - that could be it.  Or the air filter being saturated, or a bad plug.   Or maybe needing to drain the float bowl.  Will give all these a shot and see if I can get it running somewhat.  

I do notice a lot of decel pop and flameouts, so I know its also running lean.  I bought my bike from a fellow rider in Colorado Springs that had it set up for 10,000 feet + (jets and spring).  I'm at sea level.  Spoke with Ron at RL Racing today.  He's sending me some jets, and I'll start tearing into the carb and checking for trash in the jets when I receive these.

Plug first!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 6:24 AM, lineaway said:

If you have been riding a bike at sea level that was properly jetted for high altitude, I would first do a compression check.

Curious why a compression check because of an altitude change.  Please tell me more.  

• 1 month later...

Just a followup - boot was pulled off the carb.  Took the opportunity to pull and grease the swingarm and wheel axles, respring front and rear, rejet, change the carb spring as well as oil, filter, clean air filter, etc . . .

IMG_9586.JPG

• 6 months later...

OK, back to the fuel solenoid.  Riding last night and noticed a constant drip from the float bowl overflow when I stopped the bike and had it on the kickstand. Wouldn't stop even with the solenoid on "Auto" and the engine off.  I drained the float bowl, and it apparently filled the bowl right back up and it started leaking again.  Still leaking today.  Anyone else have problems with the solenoid either not closing or a seal leaking, etc?  

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tore into the fuel solenoid?  Mine is obviously just stuck open.  Every day I ride it, it will completely drain every drop of fuel I put in the tank until empty.  I have the solenoid in the "Auto" position (up) . . . Bike hot or cold. . . Fuel cap on or off . . . Doesn't matter.  Empties the tank.  I now live with a metal pan under the bike in my garage to catch all remaining fuel in the tank after a daily ride.

I've bought an inline petcock valve to at least have a positive way to shut off the fuel at the end of the day, but I'd sure like to get the solenoid working, as I know it's also intended to keep the bowl from filling when I simply shut the bike off (or stall it in a fall).  Right now, I'm pretty well having to start the bike as in flooded condition (WOT).  Can't be a good thing to have to do.  Hard to believe a simple float valve on a Beta doesn't work like a float valve on any other motorcycle and seal off the bowl (I have replaced the valve and adjusted the float level to spec).

Is my only option to replace the solenoid or can it be repaired?

Thanks for any help.

IMG_3009.JPG