Montesa Cota 247 Break In Period

dirtrider6

12 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

Cant find anywhere where it says it is Classification GL-4 ?

I looked at their data sheets and they say it has a zinc additive, which would normally put it in GL-4 class (although it doesn't say so) - I noticed their 80/90 hypoid gear oil says GL-5 in their advertising.

20 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

Cant find anywhere where it says it is Classification GL-4 ?

No I can't find a GL-4 classification on the bottle but it is working fine in my bike with lots of miles /hours on it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oldaz said:

I looked at their data sheets and they say it has a zinc additive, which would normally put it in GL-4 class (although it doesn't say so) - I noticed their 80/90 hypoid gear oil says GL-5 in their advertising.

Thank you for checking it out

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

I may have to try this the false neutrals are very annoying

My 74 is better than it use to be with the Maxima. I was using regular 90wt gear oil and had allot of problems with it jumping out of the higher gears while riding  between sections and a few false neutrals in the lower gears. I switched to atf in both boxes a couple years ago and it worked better in my application. I just like the idea of having a heavier oil in the gear box however and the Maxima seems to be fine and I didn't notice any gear jumping. TO put this in perspective this bike has lots of hours  on it so I am sure it has allot of wear on the drive train. I am kind of in the preservation mode with it but still competing with it at vintage trial events and doing quite a bit of practice on it. This bike never has shifted as well or as positively as most other bikes, and you kind of have to get use to putting up with it's little quirks, but it is a great vintage trials bike and I always get lots of compliments at events.

10 minutes ago, sdm said:

My 74 is better than it use to be with the Maxima. I was using regular 90wt gear oil and had allot of problems with it jumping out of the higher gears while riding  between sections and a few false neutrals in the lower gears. I switched to atf in both boxes a couple years ago and it worked better in my application. I just like the idea of having a heavier oil in the gear box however and the Maxima seems to be fine and I didn't notice any gear jumping. TO put this in perspective this bike has lots of hours  on it so I am sure it has allot of wear on the drive train. I am kind of in the preservation mode with it but still competing with it at vintage trial events and doing quite a bit of practice on it. This bike never has shifted as well or as positively as most other bikes, and you kind of have to get use to putting up with it's little quirks, but it is a great vintage trials bike and I always get lots of compliments at events.

Definitely going to switch to this oil as I am also having the issue of it jumping out of higher gears, thank you so much for taking the time to post this

Glad I could help ....These old bike have little quirks that you have to work around or get use to , but that is all part of the vintage thing imo. I enjoy experimenting to get things working better especially if the bike responds to my efforts.

The 72 247 ( that I no longer have) had to be held in to gear with the shift lever then release the clutch to have it stay in gear. Not a big deal in trials but kind of pesky for trail riding when you are doing allot of shifting. It never jumped out of gear however.

good luck

40 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Back in the day Montesa boxes could be problematic - too many shims, where Bultaco did a good box that only had one shim.

Might be worth a strip and check if you're fussed.

Hoping the oil change makes the difference, bike was completely rebuilt never really ran and stored until I bought it, all done by an excellent mechanic

4 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

Hoping the oil change makes the difference,

According to the Maxima site, the oil helps prevent clutch slippage, so if true, it could possibly reduce gear slip. It doesn't take much bearing and gear wear before the gear clearance and angular alignment in these boxes starts to be affected, which can lead more to gears not wanting to stay together when selected.

• 4 weeks later...

10 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

Oil changed in the gearbox and it is definitely shifting better

Took it to our car clubs (Hi-Lites Motor Club) first show of the year and it was a huge hit everybody loved it

Glad the oil seems to make the box better, will be interesting to see how it goes long term.

That's great about the show, we're starting to see similar things at car shows here, where folks are bringing out their restoration/repair projects from their sheds/shops where they've been hidden away from the general public.

I still have to paint the tank on mine to finish it off.

16 hours ago, oldaz said:

Glad the oil seems to make the box better, will be interesting to see how it goes long term.

That's great about the show, we're starting to see similar things at car shows here, where folks are bringing out their restoration/repair projects from their sheds/shops where they've been hidden away from the general public.

I still have to paint the tank on mine to finish it off.

He did say that he talked to another Montesa owner and he said to add an extra 25cc-50cc of oil to make it shift smoother he did say that helped also.
Bike was a big hit lots of people stopped to look at it and ask questions, two of our club members that are bike enthusiasts took it for a ride in the parking lot and loved so much asking if I ever sell it to let them know.
Hope you finish yours and get it to a show

• Like 1