New to TC

arbee64

Hi All

Last rode trials 25+ years ago and have since kept eye in with a bit of trail riding. However am losing interest in trail riding as lanes disappearing fast and so fancied a return to trials. Have purchased a TY with a view to going twinshock and this forum has come up on a few Googlings so thought I'd sign up.  

Edited by Arbee64
Text
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Arbee64 said:

Hi All

Last rode trials 25+ years ago and have since kept eye in with a bit of trail riding. However am losing interest in trail riding as lanes disappearing fast and so fancied a return to trials. Have purchased a TY with a view to going twinshock and this forum has come up on a few Googlings so thought I'd sign up.  

I understand your situation as many of our best trail riding spots have been shut off,when I rode MX we used to practice by trail riding forestry tracks in some prime area's locally ....no more.

I've only ridden a TY briefly but that is was a good machine for the era,I think you will enjoy it.

Welcome to this forum its a great resource and good people on here,cheers.

Hi Arbee, you probably know that you need to join a Club, so that they will give you an ACU license application number.   The AMCA most likely has a similar method, and could suit your TY Twinshock, with Classic Trials.

I have a few TYs,... you buy one, then ten minutes later you want another..!   They are a really good bike for easy sections, and always start very easily.   The IRC tubed tyre is the latest 'must have' and give excellent grip on rocks compared to the older types of tyres.

Best of luck, hope the snow goes soon...

Thanks Scifi

TY has not run for a few years and needs a bit of work but is mostly all there. Plan is to do a strip and rebuild but not going silly. Will powder coat frame and fit new bushes, bearings and plastics as necessary.  Engine seems sound but will have a look when out. I do have a few queries and will post these as I get into them.

Looking forward to getting into garage.

Edited by Arbee64

I think you should try to get the engine running before you strip it all apart, as that will give you some idea of where it needs some work.  If you totally clean the carb first, ensure each jet is clear, and it is important that the O rings are a tight fit between the main jet and the float chamber, so that the float chamber is a press fit.     Also expect the clutch to be stuck, after a few years lay-up.  but at least you can check the gears, with a clutchless gear-change.

I'm not too much into the cosmetics here, as long as it goes Ok that is good enough for me...  Have Fun...