misterroy

big end woe

Sherco 290

My cylinder is off to get replated. The conrod kit at £210 looks pricey if the conrod is ok.

There is play at the big end, how would I know if the conrod is OK to reuse?

thanks

7 minutes ago, misterroy said:

Sherco 290

My cylinder is off to get replated. The conrod kit at £210 looks pricey if the conrod is ok.

thanks

If there is play at the big end it would not be ok to re use .......its either bite the bullet and pay for the expensive rebuild and have a bike that works correctly......or not.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, misterroy said:

even if I buy a new bearing and the pin?

there will be some wear on the conrod  so you will be putting new unworn parts  with a  worn part

its the one part of the bike where you should spend the money and make it right ....its your money.

Edited by oni nou

Wot he said. While it's stripped down that far do a good job and you shouldn't need to repeat again for years. 

Seems the sensible route to buy the rod kit despite the cost.

Many moons ago I had a Suzuki AC50, rare thing even then. That needed a big end change, and because the bearing was obsolete the company who rebuilt the crank bored out the rod to accept a slightly larger OD bearing. I would only consider this if parts were not available, and the value/risk was low. TBH never felt 100% happy about it, but had no choice.

So vote for me is the rod kit route

Cos I've got too much time on my hands tonight, found this, might save a few quid. Have never used the company and not 100% sure it's the right one, but maybe worth a look. Using XE.com this rod kits is £164 plus del. Looks like some kind of dealer clearance of Sherco parts?

https://shercodiscountparts.com/collections/sherco-trials/products/conrod-kit-2-5-2-9-r021

• Like 1

What oni nou said, you need the con-rod, pin and bearing. Any wear on the big end usually affects the con-rod bearing surface, the pin and the rollers. Either your bike is really old, has had a lack of oil or has been drowned in water which has settled for a while for the big end to wear, not the norm on later day bikes for big ends wearing out. Bye, Peter B.

5 hours ago, misterroy said:

Sherco 290

thanks

What sort of play? They all move side to side, you know. Vertical play can be more difficult to check.

3 hours ago, mrtmartinp said:

Cos I've got too much time on my hands tonight, found this, might save a few quid. Have never used the company and not 100% sure it's the right one, but maybe worth a look. Using XE.com this rod kits is £164 plus del. Looks like some kind of dealer clearance of Sherco parts?

https://shercodiscountparts.com/collections/sherco-trials/products/conrod-kit-2-5-2-9-r021

I just bought some parts for my bike from that site. Saved over $200 on the stator for my bike as opposed to getting it from my local dealer. That company is in Canada so shipping might be higher than what you might expect.

2 hours ago, misterroy said:

the play is somewhere around 1mm up and down. will buy the kit.

then its scrap,

With 1mm play up & down it would be knocking, and not far off punching a hole in the crank cases!

• Like 2

I don't think there was contact with the head, it looks fine.

The piston is scored and the cylinder has a wee mark.`

4 hours ago, misterroy said:

I don't think there was contact with the head, it looks fine.

The piston is scored and the cylinder has a wee mark.`

It may have been a passing dog or a tom cat spraying....they're a pain in the ass.