Jet washing bikes

justjosh9

Definitely exhaust plug, pre soak if muds hard then when you hit it with the Gerni it comes off easier. Chamois down everything, blow water out of controls etc with a air compressor then wd40 or lanox lightly around bearings pivot points being careful not to get on brakes/discs wipe excess off. Let bike run for a couple of minutes,  cool down, Bobs your uncle.:ph34r:

On 05/03/2018 at 12:44 PM, faussy said:

But its virtually impossible to power wash a bike without getting some water into the airbox, resulting in a wet filter. I would not want my bike running as the filter gets continually wetter and wetter

Hold it, hold it....aren’t Trials bikes supposed to run in the WET? Aren’t they built to go through puddles, ditches, rivers etc. What’s all the grief about washing the things. You’re meant to tidy up after each outing by carrying out planned preventative maintenance. Rubber glove finger on exhaust outlet. Plastic bag over air filter if possible. Wash off mud etc sensibly, don’t aim at wheel bearings, gearbox seals. Garden hose to soak mud and wash bike. Pressure washers are for non professional car cleaners, they just force the s**t in further, ruin transfers, and create lots of forum discussions????Play nicely now!

1 hour ago, section swept said:

Hold it, hold it....aren’t Trials bikes supposed to run in the WET? Aren’t they built to go through puddles, ditches, rivers etc. What’s all the grief about washing the things. You’re meant to tidy up after each outing by carrying out planned preventative maintenance. Rubber glove finger on exhaust outlet. Plastic bag over air filter if possible. Wash off mud etc sensibly, don’t aim at wheel bearings, gearbox seals. Garden hose to soak mud and wash bike. Pressure washers are for non professional car cleaners, they just force the s**t in further, ruin transfers, and create lots of forum discussions????Play nicely now!

Now that's not fair, tour taking away all my reasons to play dirty...  wait, that's why I have a trials bike... so I can play dirty!!! :thumbup:

• Haha 1

Actually no, the trials bikes in the last couple of decades are not made to submarine through water like the days of old. Several things have happened. Most clubs in there land use do not ride in much water as they used to. The premier World Champions seem to cringe at a good wet and muddy event. And mainly the water cooled princess of bikes we ride now cannot take the abuse. Ever seen a modern bike try to cross a cold deep water stream? You have a real good chance of the cylinder cracking and locking up the motor. Trials and the bikes are not as tough as the events of old. By the way. Just run the bikes after a good wash. Also most owners manuals state this fact.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lineaway said:

Actually no, the trials bikes in the last couple of decades are not made to submarine through water like the days of old. Several things have happened. Most clubs in there land use do not ride in much water as they used to. The premier World Champions seem to cringe at a good wet and muddy event. And mainly the water cooled princess of bikes we ride now cannot take the abuse. Ever seen a modern bike try to cross a cold deep water stream? You have a real good chance of the cylinder cracking and locking up the motor. Trials and the bikes are not as tough as the events of old. By the way. Just run the bikes after a good wash. Also most owners manuals state this fact.

I did try to run the 2000 Sherco 2.9 I had under water........... did not stay running after sucking in water.

Long story short, pumped water out spark plug hole and finished the event.

2 yrs later the crankshaft bearings were HORRIBLE (creek had a ton of silt crap in it).  Tear down bike, It had what looked like scorch marks on the cases under the crank bearing locations - rings leaking by? and there was silt/dirt caked into the corners of the intake path of the cases.

She was still running................ although she ran much better after the rebuild.

18 minutes ago, zippy said:

I did try to run the 2000 Sherco 2.9 I had under water........... did not stay running after sucking in water.

Long story short, pumped water out spark plug hole and finished the event.

2 yrs later the crankshaft bearings were HORRIBLE (creek had a ton of silt crap in it).  Tear down bike, It had what looked like scorch marks on the cases under the crank bearing locations - rings leaking by? and there was silt/dirt caked into the corners of the intake path of the cases.

She was still running................ although she ran much better after the rebuild.

Those ‘ scorch marks’ were the tell tale signs that the outer bearing tracks had spun in the housing. Doesn’t take much dirt to lock up a bearing. Of course if the scorch marks you describe aren’t inside the main bearing housings then I’m wrong.

13 hours ago, section swept said:

Hold it, hold it....aren’t Trials bikes supposed to run in the WET? 

No engine is designed to run while sucking in water and if youve a wet filter, thats almost a guarantee

Edited by faussy

8 hours ago, faussy said:

No engine is designed to run while sucking in water and if youve a wet filter, thats almost a guarantee

That’s a water pump! Agree if the air filters wet you’re in trouble. Trials bike air filters were/ are supposed to be designed to prevent water entering the engine.

i always use an exhaust bung, then put it in my garage, blow with airline wipe it down with some old towels. then remove rear mudguard/airbox, clean air filter ,allow to dry before fitting back in with clean filter , iv'e done this for years with out any drama.on most trials bikes the dog bone bearings cop for it a bit as do wheel bearings , submerging in muddy water dosen't help , just find your local bearing supplier and keep spares on shelf , i think they do well all considerd :D

On 3/22/2018 at 4:57 AM, section swept said:

Those ‘ scorch marks’ were the tell tale signs that the outer bearing tracks had spun in the housing. Doesn’t take much dirt to lock up a bearing. Of course if the scorch marks you describe aren’t inside the main bearing housings then I’m wrong.

The scorch marks were on the inside of the case below the bearings, they could be seen with the bearings installed.  If I remember correctly they cleaned right off with some brake cleaner.  (has been a few years since I owned that bike)

Main bearings were so bad at time of rebuild, if I tapped the end of the handlebars with the engine off, you could hear the crankshaft wobble and clunk.

Also the bike used more fuel after the rebuild, almost like it was recycling it :D 

• 2 weeks later...