Optimal suspension setup

justjosh9

what Do people find is the optimal suspension setup? More rebound means easier to hop/ jump zap up stuff I guess? But more dampening would be better for overall grip? How do people like factory kev set them up? 

I know it’s a seriously hard question without actually physically showing me but any opinions would be good because I have zilch experience setting up suspension 

Thanks! 

Before spending lots of time on bike setup, I recommend a good training program.  Well worth every penny and way more benefit than a well setup bike!!!

now if still want to read on for whatever reason, here you go.

This will be very summarized and is based on my experience and advice I got from more experience riders.

Note: I am also assuming the bike in question doesn't have any issues with equipment, such as 5-5.5 psi front 3.5-4 psi rear, suspension in good shape, runs good, etc.

First, trials isn't anything like other motorcycle sports so setup takes a bit of experimentation and extrapolation.  Good luck!

Second, at its root the best setup will give you optimal grip and enough rebound and dampening to hop the bike and still do a splatter.

so with that in mind... start by recording your current settings.... now, set around 35 to 40% sag.  Put your rebound and dampening at between 1/4 and 1/3 from the lowest setting. (Record this setting so you can go back to if needed as well)

Now, spend at least a solid hour or two on the bike practicing every different skill you know and feel you can do with that setup.  You might need more or less time depending on you ability to feel different adjustments.

Now you can start adjusting things and keep track at each adjustment.

...if the front end feels like it wants to or is plowing in a full lock turn you might need to lower the forks in the triple clamp or drop a little pre-load from the rear if your already maxed on the forks.  Reverse the settings if you feel like your not able to turn tight enough.

if the bike feels pogo stick like turn up the dampening.  If the bike is hard to hop turn it down.  If you feel all over the place when doing down a stream or through a pile of rocks then turn the dampening up, if the handlebars try to jump out of your hands when deflecting on a rock or the bike seems to push you over/ around the dampening may be up to high.

If you find your loosing traction in low grip situations or uneven ground your compression is likely to high, if bouncie compression is to low.

I went through a lot of this on my bike setup when I finally did a thorough job of it.

I hope this helps.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much for all the insight guys! I’m going to have a play around with it all day today so I will definitly be sure to use that information. I think I definitly need to turn down the dampening because it’s too slow on the rebound and ‘eats up’ all the energy I’ve put into it. It also bottoms out far too easy and sumps a lot easier than the beta I was riding too so I’m going to try and sort the ride height out first.

thanks again! 

On 3/4/2018 at 6:14 AM, oni nou said:

Splat shop has got Ohlins standard setup specs on their website under 'Performance'  ....'Suspension'  ... 'Ohlins trials rear shock' Your bike has 8mm preload and it also gives you base clicks for the damping setting.

oni nou knows!