2019 Beta. Let the speculation begin!

dan williams

OK so a few things I've seen on the 2018 make me fairly certain we'll be seeing significant changes to the 2019.

I've seen what appears to be much larger electrical capacity on the stator with more coils and a larger regulator/rectifier.

An additional vent (pressure tube?) on the fuel filler.

A security screw on the intake manifold.

Pushing of electrics (CDI, ignition coil, regulator) away from the center of the frame towards outer parts of the bike. 

So let's speculate,

Fuel injection, all the cool kids are doing it. A fuel pump, injection body and ECU need space and power to work. A battery is necessary to make it work first kick.

Electric start? Hey if we throw a Li-ion battery in for the fuel injection why not make it a bit bigger and start a revolution? Starter motors are a lot smaller and lighter than they used to be.

Diaphragm clutch, They don't work better than a properly setup spring clutch but they are cheaper to manufacture and they are physically thinner than coil springs. I would like to see someone build a clutch with a wave spring just because nobody's tried it yet.

...and on the wish list, A rear brake that has a bleeder on top of the master cylinder.

Now.......................Discuss!

If Beta does use fuel injection on its 2T bikes it will be interesting to see if it benefits from collaboration with KTM to use injectors that fuel direct into the transfer ports as opposed to what KTM dismisses as the 'electronic carburettor' fuel injection systems used by Ossa and Vertigo.   

7 hours ago, lowbrow said:

If Beta does use fuel injection on its 2T bikes it will be interesting to see if it benefits from collaboration with KTM to use injectors that fuel direct into the transfer ports as opposed to what KTM dismisses as the 'electronic carburettor' fuel injection systems used by Ossa and Vertigo.   

The OSSA injector goes directly into the crankcase- right at the rear transfer port.   Not really that much different Than the KTM (only one injector of course),  it is NOT throttle body injection.  I do not know how the Vertigo is setup.

15 hours ago, lotus54 said:

The OSSA injector goes directly into the crankcase- right at the rear transfer port.   Not really that much different Than the KTM (only one injector of course),  it is NOT throttle body injection.  I do not know how the Vertigo is setup.

That's interesting and something I didn't know.  I think it will only take another trials manufacturer (or two) to use FI and the others will follow suit much as they did with the introduction of monoshock suspension and water cooling.  

I had found the FI very, very reliable with quite minimal maintenance required. I like it.   Software access was easy (of course now that OSSA is not in business, finding the interface now is difficult, but setup was super easy)

But I certainly understand those not wanting to get into the FI world.  The CV carb on my 300 4T works pretty well, but I wonder how it would be with FI similar to the Montesa (another bike I seriously looked into buying).

just my thoughts- what do I know?

Edited by lotus54