TY175 Clutch Release Arm removal

Mark97

Hi,

As part of my makeover of my TY175 I am going to paint the engine. The clutch release arm and spring are a little bit rusty and I was considering taking it out and having it zinc plated. As the clutch was replaced recently I do not want to remove that, is removing the release arm as simple as loosening the nut and screw on the left hand side of the crankcase and sliding it out? If so I am presuming the refitting is just the reverse process?

Regards

Mark

• 3 months later...

Hi all just resurrecting the topic, Took the engine out to get the frame powder-coated, and took the clucth arm off to de-rust the arm and paint it, also removed the flywheel and clutch covers to clean them up. The engine was stripped for approx 2 months drained of oil etc while i carried out the work, cleaning etc.

I have now rebuilt the bike, new cables etc. I have started the bike up and it seem to run well, I have no chain installed, so when I selected the first gear, it went in fine and the front sprocket turned, but when dipping the clutch, the front sprocket still turns. I switched the bike off and with the bike in 1st and the clutch pulled in, turning the front sprocket by hand is trying to turn the engine over, so it was not just a case of drag on the clutch. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do to make the clutch work? It was working before the bike was stripped down and I have tried adjusting the adjuster screw near the rear sprocket, but this does not seem to do much, the clutch arm has some minor marks on the tapered face but barely perceptible. 

Could the shaft fall out that transmits the motion to the clutch? my understanding is that this is captive and comes out the clutch side only. When looking at the bike from the left hand side, the clutch arm is at rest at just before the 12 oclock position.

Regards

Mark

Yes the pushrods and ball can only fall out via the right hand end of the clutch shaft.

From your description it sounds like you are expecting to be able to rotate the sprocket by hand with the clutch pulled in. Even a perfectly good clutch will have too much drag to allow this to happen.

feetup, thank you for your response, fitted the chain fired it up and the clutch seemed to work perfectly as I rode around the garden, so as you advised it was purely drag. It shows what a great resource these forums are, especially to us newbies, thank you!!!

Mark