Beta techno running backwards

Danieljohn

Hi guys I have a 96 beta techno it’s running backwards il give you the long story I used the bike a few weekends no issues went out a few weekends ago the bike started reving flat out I cut the engine out with the kill switch then restarted the bike continued to use it for a few hours no issues came home washed it, I pulled the bike out this weekend started it, it didn’t sound right it was backfireing and going backwards in gear. Also became difficult to start I’ve checked the crank woodruff key cleaned carb and reeds I’ve tryed moving the stator plate both ways still going backwards any 1 else had a similar issue it’s drivin me mad thanks. 

If the ignition timing has altered you need to find the reason why. If the stator plate has not moved, and the woodruff key is good and there is no excess play in the key way...you don’t say if the key way is good. Why did the engine run away, was the throttle slide stuck? Not sure if your electronic ignition unit has an advance map or not, still if it was faulty I doubt it would retard the ignition enough to cause reverse running.?

Edited by section swept
Spelling error

It could be old or low octane fuel, causing a bounce back, by igniting before TDC.   I used to fly model aircraft, and some glow-plug engines could be more easily started by bouncing the propeller backwards against compression, it would fire well before TDC, kicking the engine forwards.

Edited by scifi
  • Like 1

I'm not familiar with a techno flywheel so can anyone say if it is feasible that the cup of the flywheel has moved relative to the hub of the flywheel?

Another thought was is it possible that the magnet that triggers the spark may have lost its magnetism somehow and so the spark is being triggered by the wrong magnet?

Just had another thought. Check for "poling". This is where one or more magnets touches the stator laminations. Can be caused by play in the main bearings, poor alignment of flywheel on the taper, loose stator screws, loose magnet/s

Edited by feetupfun

If it isn't the woodruff key then something is very odd indeed. Typically the electronic ignitions are difficult to get running backwards unless something is not connected correctly in the wiring. The trigger coils are only pulsed by two special magnets in the flywheel that have their fields oriented 90 degrees off from the rest of the magnets in the flywheel so even if something were wrong with the coils they can't be triggered by the other magnets. A missing/broken ground can cause transient signals to be generated that can fool the CDI into thinking it has received a trigger signal. So the next thing I recommend is checking your ground connections.

After that would be go through your wiring to make sure connectors are not in bad shape.

Not on a Beta (Armstrong/CanAm) but I did have a bike where the wires from the stator to the CDI were swapped at the factory. The bike never ran great but it ran and occasionally it would run backwards. Took me two years to figure that one out. If your wiring is intact I'm thinking your CDI box which has a microcontroller in it may be on the fritz.

In general the starting position for the stator backing plate on a Beta is in the middle.

Please let us know if you find the root cause. We're all learning here.

• Like 2

Hi bit of an update on my bike I have only got 5v coming out of my stator going to my coil which is very inconsistent my earth is also bad going into my cdi I’m going to look at my options of either getting My stator refurbishd or finding a breaker who can supply me with a used 1 does anyone have any contacts for breakers or someone who refurbishes these at reasonable cost many thanks for all your help through my nightmare ??Much appreciated.