Ty 175 to pump or not to pump

steve1979

Hi guys, 

Rebuild is coming along, getting into a few nitty gritty jobs now. While fitting up the throttle cable it felt a bit tight and rough. I dismantled it and oiled it but it's still stiff for the throttle to snap closed. My question is, do you bin the oil pump in favour of a single throttle cable and just mix the oil with the petrol. My thinking is, it's a near 40 year old pump, what if it doesn't deliver the oil as it should.

bin it and single throttle cable or replace with new duel cable and keep the convenience of the pump?

what have you guys done. 

Oh and as for tank graphics, do I opt for the thin double line that was on it originally or go for the chunky red graphic that wraps over the tank?

cant decide what will look better. She's a 1980 so maybe to keep her heritage right I should go for the thin double line. But I do like the look of the chunky red?

here's how she's looking just now. 

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

In my experience a TY175 throttle will snap shut if the pump is retained. If yours doesn't it's probably that the cable is past its best even if cleaned and lubed.

Of course, most remaining TYs now run on two stroke mix but I kept mine with oil pump intact as I liked the convenience of not mixing fuel and the fact that the oil feed was correctly metered at all times.

Edited by cleanorbust

Yes just back in from the garage and I'm going to agree with you, I think the cable is past it's best. I'll get a new one ordered up. But I'm leaning towards removing the pump, it's probably fine, the fellow I bought it off assured me she was running great until he abandoned her outside for a while and he thought the electrics were shot due to corrosion, I've replaced everything there anyway and now have a healthy blue spark. So I'm thinking the pump is fine, but I've not primed it or checked it's settings yet, it looks ok. Looking online I've only found single replacement cables that do away with the dual cable set up. Although I've not fully looked for the upper cable yet. I did a search on here and the majority have removed the pump.  

8 hours ago, steve1979 said:

Yes just back in from the garage and I'm going to agree with you, I think the cable is past it's best. I'll get a new one ordered up. But I'm leaning towards removing the pump, it's probably fine, the fellow I bought it off assured me she was running great until he abandoned her outside for a while and he thought the electrics were shot due to corrosion, I've replaced everything there anyway and now have a healthy blue spark. So I'm thinking the pump is fine, but I've not primed it or checked it's settings yet, it looks ok. Looking online I've only found single replacement cables that do away with the dual cable set up. Although I've not fully looked for the upper cable yet. I did a search on here and the majority have removed the pump.  

I expect you will have an easy decision when you find out the price for a NOS one-into-two cable

• Haha 1

Just as turbofurball said, just neoprene. I have a pair on my gas gas. They were on her when I bought her 2006, there a little frayed now but still work as should. I would recommend them. 

So far I've not found the duel cable, all seem to be the single option. But I can imagine the duel would be ridiculous in price as you say feetupfun. Single it is. I'll order one and new chain tensioner springs etc today from ty trials. The original is also a bit on the weak side. 

Edited by steve1979
  • Like 1

Pumps gone,typical though I had put the oil in etc before realising the cable was goosed. Drain oil out, bash plate off etc. Made up a blank plate. 1step forward and two back at the moment though. Front exhaust is pretty well rotten, had to repair the silencer too, weld up a couple of holes. Front pipe is going to require a little more work to get it decent. I would like to put a new system on but funds won't stretch that far atm. I'll have to keep my eye going for a decent 2nd hand system. Not happy with the finish on the tank, had a lot of reactions and ended up with a slight orange peel effect, so it'll be getting flatted off again and this time a bar coat isolator coat put on. There's no shortage of paint on that tank now. 

Ditch the pump and the oil tank, that’s two less things to go wrong. Throttle cable only pulling on the carb slide means easier action and less effort from rider. Don’t forget to remove oil pipes and unions, plug oil in holes otherwise you have an air leak. Space now freed up by oil tank removal allows for better access to air box etc.

• Like 2