Riding Land

jsp

Morning All, a small piece of disused railway embankment has come up for sale near to 

me and I was wondering is it just as simple as buying it and riding on it ? 

I'm looking at getting a few of lads that ride to all chip in and buy it as

a group so we wouldnt be charging anyone for using it and we'd all sign 

disclaimers against injury 

• Like 2

I used to practice on a disused railway line, the track was gone but the banking and the fact it was right out in the country meant that no one could see me or hear me. Make sure if you go ahead that no planning consent is needed to use the land.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cleanorbust said:

Yes, planning permission would be important to ascertain. It would need to be cheap to buy if I were you - the trials practice potential of a railway embankent on its own might be fully exploited in what, a matter of minutes?

Yes and if you should happen to fall off with the bike on top of you, the slope of the bank can make extracting yourself dammed difficult. Some railway banks can be very interesting and challenging, what with overgrown bushes, tree stumps, railway detritus and of course rubbish. ??

I think it would be great to own a patch of land you could use with a few mates - I'm sure you could make a few sections and then vary them from time to time by introducing a few man made obstacles - of course it wouldn't be a full blown "trials centre" and there might be a bit of rubbish to clear, but that sounds like a "project" or an opportunity as much as a problem. I've dreamt about buying some forest land for a similar purpose but apart from not having the funds, it always seems to have conditions of use applied which mean you cant disturb the owners of the next patch so that rules out trials.