2011 sherco or 2012 jotagas 250

bentiggerwyles

As title I'm torn between both have read plenty of reviews but does anyone have experience of both I have toe option of either and there is a slight price difference but is the jotagas worth the extra. I'm a new to trials rider at clubman level I have been riding my son's 2009 beta evo 125 and being 90kg feel like I could use a little more tourqe.

Couldn't find alot about either online and probably wouldn't get a chance to ride them back to back

Thanks 

An awful lot will depend upon the overall condition of each bike. At these years you may find them to be either in serious need of rebuilding or totally immaculate. The Sherco will have the stronger, possibly more reliable engine, but again condition and maintenance is very important. Have you considered a 250 Beta as you already know your sons bike. I was looking at the classifieds last evening and there were quite a few good bikes at reasonable money. Either way give which ever you chose a real good testing, ensure the engine ticks over (idles) evenly and no stalling. Clutch may be grabby but not unusual. Look for cracks in the frame especially around engine mounting points. Service records or invoices of parts fitted are a good indicator as to the way a bikes been looked after. Check out the owner/rider too, how long have they been riding and owned the bike. If you can ride the bike go through all the gears accelerating and decelerating. If a stand is available spin each wheel and listen for rumbling noises and look for wheel rim truth. Hope you get a nice bike and enjoy it??

• Like 1

As indicated, condition is your most important thing.  

If they are in the same condition I admit I would go with the Sherco as the company has had better long term results in bike longevity and support.  

My 2 cents... for what it's worth.  

• Thanks 1

There is nothing restricting me to those brands just my budget (2k max) and location in the south west seem to have few bikes come up I am actually tempted by a clean 2009 beta 250 Evo it's from the same guy that I purchased the 125 from so I know he keeps his bikes very well 

Also I know how the evos ride

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bentiggerwyles said:

There is nothing restricting me to those brands just my budget (2k max) and location in the south west seem to have few bikes come up I am actually tempted by a clean 2009 beta 250 Evo it's from the same guy that I purchased the 125 from so I know he keeps his bikes very well 

Also I know how the evos ride

Go for that one it’s a no brainer. You can get bikes couriered (man in a van) for between £120 and £150 from anywhere in the country, least the one I use does. Oh and for 2K the Trials bike sales market is your oyster! ?

• Like 1

£2k should get you something better than the ones you've mentioned?As pointed out by others condition is more important than brand or age,but you need to test ride anything you fancy to both see if it suits you and is worth buying.Buying a good one is always better than putting right a well used and/or badly maintained one

I had a 2011 sherco 290, worked great for a year then I  started having problems. Watch the frame on them  my bent on me down at the footrests, so much that the chain was hitting it and i'm not a A rider. The radiator always gets hit by the yokes on the forks and the suspension doesn't last. Personally if I  had to choose from those  two bikes, i would go for the jotagas. At least they are easy to work on.

• Like 1