Snow

trapezeartist

Isn't it ironic for a sport that is based on overcoming difficult obstacles and conditions, that as soon as it snows all events are cancelled. (Yes, I do know the reasons why, but I can't help the feeling that it wouldn't have happened in the "good old days" when most of us would have got there somehow, despite the lack of traction control, ABS and hour-by-hour weather forecasts.)

• Like 1

Two things I remember about one Welsh Trial about 40 years ago, was that we had to ride down a hill on one road, but half way down the ditch was overflowing and water was crossing the road.  This had frozen and was a solid sheet of ice.for 200 yards downhill.   I slid with all feet out, onto the grassy bank to get some grip.     Then when arriving at the next sections, I found it difficult to straighten my elbows from their 90 degree bend, as my overalls were solid ice.

We all learn from our experiences, and I don't really want to ride in those sort of conditions ever again.

• Like 1

I can remember doing the Lakes Two Day with about a foot of snow on the moors and the rock sections had been salted to give some grip, but we did have to get the other guys out the digs to push the car and trailer the last bit up to the farmhouse.  Then there was the time we ended up overtaking the snow plough on the way to a NE Centre event..........  I recall laying out events in the snow too but don't know if I could be bothered now, forty five years older.

However, a lot of what we've had recently was just a normal winter when I was a kid - no question of the school closing alas and the buses kept running when a gritter lorry was two guys with shovels and a pile of material on the back of a flatbed truck.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scifi said:

Two things I remember about one Welsh Trial about 40 years ago, was that we had to ride down a hill on one road, but half way down the ditch was overflowing and water was crossing the road.  This had frozen and was a solid sheet of ice.for 200 yards downhill.   I slid with all feet out, onto the grassy bank to get some grip.     Then when arriving at the next sections, I found it difficult to straighten my elbows from their 90 degree bend, as my overalls were solid ice.

I had a similar experience on a trial somewhere on the edge of Dartmoor about 1970. The organisers had put down a strip of grit on the ice, but obviously had run out part way down. This was just about on the steepest bit so I did the inevitable and fell off. Couldn't stand up, never mind lift the bike, so had to shuffle self and bike across to the hedge while kneeling/lying in the road.

Experience is very relevant here. Kids always want to ride regardless of the weather. I do remember nagging my dad to take me to trials when we had snow / ice. However there aren't many kids riding now to do the nagging, most older riders just don't think it's worth the effort. Finally all the officials are older than the riders themselves.

Trouble is everybody wants to put in a claim even if it’s their incompetency .

every event needs a risk assessment to defend against the above. 

Majority of trials are now set out by old gits who to be honest have been there, seen it and done it . Don’t need to do it again - as an over 50 I class myself In that but still mark out national and club trials with 100% commitment but if it gets a bit dodgy to be honest easier to call it off than end up in court .

Edited by jimmyl

15 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

UK has gone soft.........in the 1980's all our RWD cars were equipped with wheels and tyres, with snow chains - ready prepped for snow

Rubbish, I remember in early '80s my Dad being the only thing moving when driving my Mum's Mini van home one night.  We got home and were snowed in for two weeks.

23 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I can remember doing the Lakes Two Day with about a foot of snow on the moors and the rock sections had been salted to give some grip, but we did have to get the other guys out the digs to push the car and trailer the last bit up to the farmhouse.  Then there was the time we ended up overtaking the snow plough on the way to a NE Centre event..........  I recall laying out events in the snow too but don't know if I could be bothered now, forty five years older.

However, a lot of what we've had recently was just a normal winter when I was a kid - no question of the school closing alas and the buses kept running when a gritter lorry was two guys with shovels and a pile of material on the back of a flatbed truck.

Ee when I were a lad t’double decker bus would be going sideways down t’ high street!! Ah ad t’ wade through snow t’walk from bus stop to school!! An yer got in t’ big trouble if yer were late!! (Apologies for t’ language)?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Rubbish, I remember in early '80s my Dad being the only thing moving when driving my Mum's Mini van home one night.  We got home and were snowed in for two weeks.

21 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

UK has gone soft.........in the 1980's all our RWD cars were equipped with wheels and tyres, with snow chains - ready prepped for snow

Certainly hope all cars had wheels and tyres, not so sure about everyone having snow chains. Agree we’ve gone soft, slightest whiff of a temperature drop and everyone’s clearing the supermarket shelves. Bread and milk first...why? America just seems to accept that it’s snowed and get on with it. UK gets 0.5mm and complete standstill, elf an safety get in on the act and close schools, don’t want the little darlings falling on the ice so they stay home and go sledging down the steepest hill they can find along with mum and dad who have had to cancel work to look after said sproggs.....great innit!

8 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

I - and you couldn't eat gravel; for lunch cos it was froze t' road. Used to have live off't toe nails and twigs. T'was mighty windy w't shorts on u'nows.     

Cor you ad shorts, why ey I only had me Y fronts held up with string. Don’t ferget the salt, that’s what kept me going, all that nutrishous lovely salt chucked on t’ road to free up the gravel for thems that could afford it. Ah think it was called dinner money bah ah kanna remember, ‘‘tis the salt ya sees it plays wee yer mind”.

And now someone can bemown the fact that I was lucky enough to have string!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, section swept said:

Ee when I were a lad t’double decker bus would be going sideways down t’ high street!! Ah ad t’ wade through snow t’walk from bus stop to school!! An yer got in t’ big trouble if yer were late!! (Apologies for t’ language)?

Like this you mean? https://youtu.be/fq3xXdcZacc  

• Haha 1