New TXT 300 Pro Questions

crow

Hi Guys

I am new to the trials bike world. I have wanted one for a long time, well I finally bought one a 17 TXT 300 Pro. I have a lot of years of riding offroad but am brand new to trials. I have spent the last few weeks going through the Gas Gas. I am pretty impressed with the design and assembly. Gas Gas knows what grease is unlike KTM which are my offroad bikes. Yesterday was the day to finally fire it up, so I put gas and oil in it and fired it up. This leads me to my first question. I put the recommended 400 cc of oil in the gearbox and it is over the top of the sight glass. I am going to change it after about an hour of run time to clean out the machining debris from the gearbox. Do you guys use the sight glass for your reference point or is there a specific amount of oil I should be using. My next question is around jetting, do you change it or leave the factory jetting in there. I live at about 5500 ft above sea level and only go up from there, mostly between 6500-8500 ft. I also have a question about handle bar position. is there a standard place to start where they are positioned. Do you set them in line with the forks or are they positioned forward. I know this is a personal preference but right now they are pushed forward and they just don't feel right.to me. I am trying to learn as much as I can and this forum has helped me ot a great deal so far. This trials thing is going to be a steep learning curve for me but it will be fun.

Thanks for your help

Mark

Is this bike new or just new to you? Adjust everything that affects the way you ride. Handlebars in a line with forks viewed from the side of bike should be a starting point, but we are all different and what’s good for one isn’t always good for somebody else. Controls, levers and throttle need to be easily worked when standing more so than when seated (if you can call it that). Gear lever needs to be positioned to give you a positive push, lift if you feel you selected wrong gear for section ridden. Don’t run gearbox with excess oil as you will force oil out of the seals and or breather. Have you drained all the old oil out completely, including clutch housing? Did you have bike upright when checking level, got to ask that! Gearbox sight glass is good for checking if waters got in. 

Section Swept  This is a brand new bike it had no oil or gas in it when I took delivery. That is the way I wanted it from the dealer so I could do with it as I wanted. Yes I had the bike vertical when I checked the sight glass, had to lean it quite a bit to the left to see the oil level in the sight glass. I added the recommended 400 cc of oil and it is over the top of the sight glass. I am going to drain it after about another 15 to 20 minuet's of run time. Should I go by the sight glass for the amount of oil or is there an amount that is correct. Thanks for the information on the controls adjustment. I will play around with them to see what works for me. I just didn't want to go crazy with them since I am new this sport. I have enough bad habits that I am going to have to correct no need to get stated on the wrong foot. Thanks again

Edited by crow

18 minutes ago, crow said:

Section Swept  This is a brand new bike it had no oil or gas in it when I took delivery. That is the way I wanted it from the dealer so I could do with it as I wanted. Yes I had the bike vertical when I checked the sight glass, had to lean it quite a bit to the left to see the oil level in the sight glass. I added the recommended 400 cc of oil and it is over the top of the sight glass. I am going to drain it after about another 15 to 20 minuet's of run time. Should I go by the sight glass for the amount of oil or is there an amount that is correct. Thanks for the information on the controls adjustment. I will play around with them to see what works for me. I just didn't want to go crazy with them since I am new this sport. I have enough bad habits that I am going to have to correct no need to get stated on the wrong foot. Thanks again

Oil level should be in the middle of the window?

• Like 1

400cc is the quoted amount by gas gas but 400cc will fill it to the top of sight glass , i always change oil when engine is still hot so any lose paticles are still suspended in the oil give it time to drain and rock it side to side and back and forwards to get the most out . put 350 cc in first allow to settle and look at sight glass and top up just above halfway on sight glass both wheels on ground and level . i have run gas gas pro's since 2004 iam now on a 2011 that i have owned from new , you need to be on top with your game with maintenence, these bikes take no prisoners if you neglect them . one other thing be carefull starting the 300 its easy to chip the kickstart gear on 300's . Hope this helps , i know i've gone on a bit . happy trials :)

• Like 1

It wasn't drained all the way. The factory fills and runs them before shipping, and your dealer is probably required to run it as well. Drain it hot, lean it over to get it all out, and fill with 390mL.

Jetting: 48 or 50 pilot, leave the rest alone. (the stock 45 works but it's on the lean side) 

Handlebars : set them vertical as viewed from the side, looking at the swept portion. That's your starting point. From there you can roll them forward, but generally only as you get good, unless you're freakishly tall. 

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, heffergm said:

It wasn't drained all the way. The factory fills and runs them before shipping, and your dealer is probably required to run it as well. Drain it hot, lean it over to get it all out, and fill with 390mL.

Jetting: 48 or 50 pilot, leave the rest alone. (the stock 45 works but it's on the lean side) 

Handlebars : set them vertical as viewed from the side, looking at the swept portion. That's your starting point. From there you can roll them forward, but generally only as you get good, unless you're freakishly tall. 

What I said earlier.

• Thanks 1

118 main and 52 pilot for 6000 ft. Have you joined RMTA yet. You know there is a National the 28th and 29th of April at Texas creek. Close to Howard Co. They are needing scorers. Scoring a National is the best way to get in the action waist deep. After scoring all day come by the Team New Mexico pits and I will buy you a beer. Just ask for Lineaway, they will point me out. I will be riding.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

Thank you all very much for the information it is greatly appreciated. I plan to run the bike one more time and drain the oil. I will make sure that it is completely drained this time and refill it and see where the oil level comes to. It seems to run good with the jetting that came stock. I cleaned the oil residue out of the carb as part of my initial go thru, there was a lot left in the float bowl. I Will look into installing a richer pilot jet and a leaner main. I plan on looking into the RMTA as soon as I can . I am in between jobs right now, so it will have to wait for a bit. Once again thanks for the help.  

It sounds like you like to take good care of your bike, especially when its new which is good to hear. One thing worth doing is having a look at the rear shock linkage bearings, the dog bone bearings. Ive seen them come new greased and come new dry. Takes 5 minutes to look by removing one bolt. Definitely worth it, you could be riding round with dry bearings

Edited by faussy

Faussy, I try to take care of them the best I can they cost to much money to not keep them up. When I drain the oil I will have a look at the rear suspension and check it for grease. So far everything I have checked had a decent amount of grease installed from the factory. Thanks Mark

• Like 1

Nigel    I agree I have been pleasantly surprised by the assembly from the factory. All of my previous KTMs were lacking in the grease department. It had to be a cost cutting measure as we all know grease is very expensive LOL. Thanks again everyone for your input.   Mark