Cota 247

Cotareturn

Very smart. And aluminium mudguards too! My only gripe would be that it looks a little over-polished. And of course to be really authentic there should be some big wrinkles in the rear mudguard just behind the frame loop, but after a few practice days you should be able to add that feature :).

• Haha 1

You have a very early chassis from '68 if the number is correct with a much later engine, probably an UKR from '75/76. Wheels forks and yokes from later bike also. Exhaust has had the middle box removed and re-routed to exit where it is for whatever reason. Tank unit is the earlier type from the '68 - '72 range

Edited by woody

I am fairly sure that the clutch arm on a Mk4b was underneath the clutch case and both side csses were more rounded than those on the engine you have. Rest of the bike could be a 4b but the forks appear to be from the earlier model which had the big wheel hubs. If it runs and rides ok though you have a bike to trial and enjoy.

Edited by trialsrfun

Do you mean original type exhaust or original look for the bike?

If exhaust, that should be easy enough as middle boxes and tail pipes appear on ebay fairly often. The best set up is from a mid 70s on Cota that uses middle and tail pipe and would have been what the Ulf Karson motor had. Nice and quiet

If you mean original look for the bike, that's more tricky as would you match the look of the  early bike that the frame is from or the later bike that the engine is from? To make it look like an early bike will take a lot and isn't worth it. Personally I wouldn't care as apart from many detail changes which aren't really noticeable, the look of the bikes barely changed from '72 to '76. with frame colour changes and a slimmer tank being the most obvious. The frame itself barely changed at all from MK1 to UKR apart from accommodating a right hand side rear brake lever in about '73. Yours looks to have been converted from l/h to r/h already. I think you have the best of the 247 engines with better power delivery and the slimmer casings plus clutch arm on top of casing which means they don't get caught by rocks as the earlier levers can situated underneath. You have the later hubs and yokes. If you can find a later, slimmer tank cover and alloy undertank from a '72 onwards bike, then with a silver/grey frame you'll have the appearance of a MK3, MK4 or MK4b bike or with a black frame you will have the appearance of a MK5 or UKR Cota

First thing I'd do is sort the exhaust as it will make a difference to getting it running how it should, fit proper tyres and bars, decent grips levers and cables and concentrate on getting it to run right. Then do whatever with the appearance if you want to. I'd take off the alloy guards and replace with plastic as they won't last 5 minutes left on. Ok for show but not go.

Last thing is the forks. I didn't look at the first photo above when I commented before as I remember the bike from ebay. However, on ebay the photo was of the other side, l/h side. Now I've looked at the one above, it has odd fork legs fitted. The r/h is from the early MK1 / MK2 bike whereas the l/h is from a MK3 onwards bike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trialsrfun said:

I am fairly sure that the clutch arm on a Mk4b was underneath the clutch case and both side csses were more rounded than those on the engine you have. Rest of the bike could be a 4b but the forks appear to be from the earlier model which had the big wheel hubs. If it runs and rides ok though you have a bike to trial and enjoy.

4B was underneath but this is an UKR motor. Frame is MK1

Thanks for all your comments.

Now I’ve looked at the forks they do look a bit odd...may be wrong.

Exhaust is a definite job to do ( bit old for a racer boy) I like quiet.

recomendations for footrests?. I intend to strip it down replace what’s needed.

Tyres, will these be any good on dry loose almost desert ground as when it’s finished the plan is to ship it out to one of the driest regions of Spain (yes I know it’s like taking sandwiches to a picnic) They are a lot more expensive out there.